44 foot custom cruiser built in 1936 by Walter Bezanson in the West Basin of San Pedro, California for John Henderson. Joan M. Henderson's hull is built of port orford cedar with steam bent oak ribs, bronze fastened and is powered by twin GM 471s. The decks, flying bridge, pilot house, trunk cabin and transom are all of teak. During World War II she served in the US Coast Guard for surveillance of west coastal waters. In 1951 she was sold to the Shoemaker family owned first by Hazel Mae Shoemaker and now Clarence Edward & Roma Shoemaker. A frequent visitor to Catalina Island, Joan M. Henderson is moored at Alamitos Bay Marina, Long Beach, CA.