Historical Summary:

Hull Construction:

Framing:  1 5/8" x 1 1/2" bent oak frames spaced 9"
Planking: 1 1/8" Port Orford Cedar
House: 1" Honduran Mahogany

Historical Background:

Commissioned in 1941 for Vice Principal Robert J Handy of the Edison Technical School. It was built at the Edison School of Wooden Boat Building in Seattle, Washington, under the supervision of Senior Master Boat Builder Jim Chambers Sr. Shortly after completion the yacht was sold.

1st Owner: George T. Knight (1941 – 1960), Queen City Yacht Club. The yacht was documented “Tomara” after two of his children, (Thomas and Maria); the name remains to this day. Mr. Knight was an avid predicted log racer and Tomara competed in many interclub and international cruiser races - - we have a display board with dozens of class wins and place awards as well as participation plaques(see photo below) The yacht also participated in the Seattle Yacht Club Opening Day Festivities (1955) receiving a 1st Place Trophy. Mr. Knight was also a Commodore of the Queen City Yacht Club.

2nd Owner: T. Anderson (1960 – 1963), Tyee Yacht Club. Dr. Anderson passed shortly after acquiring “Tomara”.

3rd Owner: Merrill D. and Norma Moon (1963 – 1969), Tyee, Queen City, and Bremerton Yacht Clubs. The yacht participated in numerous activities sponsored by all three yacht clubs. During their tenure, “Tomara” cruised north beyond the reaches of Desolation Sound.

4th Owner: Dennis D. and Linda Hostvedt (1969 – 1997), Bremerton Yacht Club. Dennis purchased the yacht for his wife Linda, daughter of previous owners Merrill and Norma Moon. Dennis began a total restoration of “Tomara” in 1970. He added the flying bridge in 1973 with teak hand rails on the bridge deck, thoroughly renovated the interior cabinetry, hand-crafted mahogany hatches for the chain locker and rear cabin, re-wired the yacht, installed hydraulic steering, and replaced the 1957 Chris-Craft gasoline engine for a Pisces Marine Diesel Engine in 1980.

5th Owner: Dan and Lynda Mason (1997 – 2002), Bremerton Yacht Club. Dan completed the renovation of the vessel by installing electronics (including Radar), hot water heater and tank, holding tank, added a shower, new upholstery, carpet and décor. In 2000, the yacht was refastened from water-line to keel using 2,000 stainless steel screws and plugs. While cruising in British Columbia in August 2000, the Masons met up with Julian Matson in the vicinity of Nanaimo. Matson was the conduit to author / photographer Ron McClure and this introduction and follow-up written correspondence between McClure and Mason is how “Tomara” found its way into McClure’s 2002 book “Classic Wooden Motor Yachts”.

6th Owner: Doug and Debra Serrill (2002 – 2016), no known yacht club affiliation. “Tomara” was cruised annually into B.C., as far north as the Broughton Islands. Doug de-cluttered the helm station, reverting it to its classic appearance, with discreetly placed available electronic navigational aids, which included auto-pilot and Nobeltec navigation, as well repositioning the radar and depth sounder displays. Doug also fabricated the mahogany dinghy davits and built the custom strip plank Honduran Mahogany dinghy.

7th Owner: Paul and Teresa Sabin (2016 – Present), no yacht club affiliation. Paul with wife Teresa are Alaska small yacht veterans who look forward to many years as stewards and caretakers of “Tomara”. Upgrades to date include re-planking the transom, changing the exterior color, and replacing the laminate dinette table and refrigerator door with mahogany veneer. “Tomara” was recently selected “People Choice – Best Boat” in the 2017 LaConner Classic Car and Boat Show.