Bell Harbor Classic Weekend 2018

admin's picture

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest
Friday, June 15, 2018 to Sunday, June 17, 2018
CYA Event

The Pacific Northwest Fleet of the Classic Yacht Association in conjunction with the Port of Seattle will once again sponsor the Bell Street Pier Classic Rendezvous as part of the Seattle Waterfront Classic Weekend, June 16 and 17 at Pier 66 on Seattle's downtown waterfront.  Over forty classic motor yachts, many of them built prior to World War II, will welcome visitors throughout this Father's Day weekend.  This event represents the largest gathering of classic motor yachts in the world!  Admission to all show sites is complimentary.

We are thrilled to announce that this year's Marquee Class will be Blanchard Boat Company built boats.  Featured will be several of the Blanchard Stock Cruisers (“Dreamboats”), and tentatively, a 72’ schooner and a 100’ fantail motor yacht.

On Friday June 15th, 2018 the classic yachts will participate in a Sail-In Parade along the waterfront prior to their arrival at Bell Harbor at 4 pm.  An excellent view of the yacht parade will be available from Myrtle Edwards Park or from any of the downtown piers between 2 and 4 pm.  

Bell Poster

The public is invited to the Bell Harbor Marina docks to view the classics on Saturday the 16th from 10 am to 4 pm, and on Sunday the 17th (Father's Day) from 10 am to 4 pm.  Many of the boats will be available for boarding, and guests are asked to wear soft-soled shoes.  Visitors will be asked to vote for their favorite yacht.  The winning boat's name will be inscribed on a permanent plaque on display at Bell Harbor.

The Classic Yacht Association was formed in 1970, dedicated to the promotion, preservation, restoration and maintenance of fine old power driven pleasure craft.  Almost 300 vessels are currently registered nationwide, with many located in the greater Puget Sound area.

Please refer to this page for ongoing updates and announcements.

Additional Links:

Contact Name: 

Diane Lander

Contact email address: 

3 Comments

Boats at the Bell Harbor Classic Weekend

This is a partial list of boats planning to attend this event. Please note changes may be made and this list may not represent the final list of attending boats.

Click on any Boat Name for a detailed page of information about the boat.

44 boats listed.
Adagio
1948 | 34' | Richardson | |

Adagio was built in New York using Richardson’s WWII plywood technology, touted as the “Cruiser of Tomorrow”, and the hull was designed by Sparkman and Stephens in a 1943 contest. She was shipped to Puget Sound, which may account for her longevity. The Twin Crusader engines were replaced with GrayMarines in 1965. Minor upgrades have been done to the interior and systems, but her basic Sedan Cruiser design is retained. Home Port is Decatur Island where our cabin is, and her covered moorage in Portage Bay helps keep her preserved.

1962 | 40' | Owens | |

A 40’ 1962 Owens Tahitian, Aloha was sold new in Seattle, mooring at the Seattle Yacht Club for 39 years, 1962-2001. During that time, the boat was known as the Concrete Queen.  In 2001, new owners named her the Jannika. Extensive restoration took place 2001-2003. The interior was gutted and all wood replaced with Honduran mahogany and raw teak. A custom stainless steel bow hatch and stainless steel mast was installed. The boat has twin Monel 60 gallon fuel tanks. Twin Chris Craft 350Q V8 engines were installed in 1970, replacing Owens Flagship V8’s. [BH16]

April Ann
1953 | 42' | Cummings Boat Co. | |

Designed in 1949 by Ed Monk Sr. for Ed Reinell (of Reinell Boats), the first build occurred in 1951 as the "Nancy K". "Nancy K" is still around as the "Honey Bee" and is a member of the CYA, PNW Fleet.

The second and only other build to this plan is "April Ann" built in 1953, in Tacoma at Cummings Boat Co. (where Shenanigan's Restaurant is now) for a Mr. August Seymore. Except for different engines (Chrysler Imperials originally), the canvas and enlarged swim step, the boat is original.

We have owned her for 25 years. She is homeported at the Bremerton Yacht Club.

Astelle
1942 | 42' | J. J. Astell | |

Astelle’s keel was laid in Vancouver, BC in 1938, though her launch was delayed until 1942 due to WWII. Originally named Double J, she was commissioned by J.J. Astell and designed by Stan Hope. She is constructed of Yellow cedar planking on oak frames with a mahogany house.  Astelle’s original Chrysler Crown-6 was replaced with a 65 HP Perkins diesel in 2003. She cruises at 6 knots with a maximum speed of 9.4 knots. Her portholes date from 1919, being salvaged from a scrapped destroyer, HMCS Vancouver.  Astelle’s sister ship, Faranda, is still sailing out of Vancouver, B.C.

Bacchus
1979 | 39' | Hudson | |

BACCHUS is a classic 1970’s era 39 ft fiberglass tri-cabin trawler. This type of vessel was designed to provide boaters with a fuel efficient boat in the 40 ft class in response to the 1970’s OPEC oil shortage. She was designed by Arthur Defever and built by Hudson in Taiwan. She has a single 120hp diesel engine, so she cruises at 7 knots while only burning about 1 1/2 gallon of fuel each hour. BACCHUS has cruised all the waters of Puget Sound, Canadian Gulf Islands and traveled to Alaska numerous times.

Capella
1961 | 60' | Vic Franck Boat Co. | |

Capella was built as a long range cruising yacht for a family of 4 and crew of 2. Designed by Bill Garden and built by Vic Franck and launched in 1961. Alaska yellow cedar over oak frames on 10 inch centers. Powered by 350 hp Caterpillar D-337T.

Caroline
1954 | 36' | Chris Craft | |

Chris Craft Corvette 1954

Cinnamon Girl
1951 | 34' | Chris Craft | |

Delivered new to Palm Beach Chris Craft in West Palm Beach, Florida in 1951, Cinnamon Girl was originally named Pri Mer Go after the owner’s three daughters. She made her way to Seattle in the fifties or sixties, and was repowered by Doc Freeman's with twin OMC 305 V8 engines in 1977. Other former names include Vivace, Jolly Six and Josey II. Current owners purchased her in 1999 and repowered again in 2001, along with much refastening and main system upgrades. [BH16]

1929 | 43' | Stephens Brothers | |

Compadre is a 43-foot bridge-deck cruiser built in 1929. She is one of three yachts built to this basic design by Stephens Brothers in Stockton, California. Her hull is Port Orford cedar on White oak frames, and her house is solid Burmese teak. She was originally powered by twin 6-cylinder Lathrop Mystic gasoline engines and was recently repowered with twin 80hp Yanmar diesels. Her interior layout and cabinetry are nearly all original. She was built for Mr. Leland Adams of San Francisco, a vice-president of Leslie Salt Co. Compadre is her original name. [BH16]

Dawn Treader
1956 | 35' | Chris-Craft | |

Dawn Treader was delivered to Seattle in June of 1956. We are the 5th owners for the second longest length of time which is now 15 years.
She continues to be well cruised and well loved.

El Mistico
1927 | 44' | Ballard Marine Railway | |

El Mistico was on the leading edge of technology when she was built in Ballard in 1927. According to an article in Power Boat Magazine, “The application of the low-powered oil engine to the propulsion of medium sized yachts and workboats is a comparatively new thing”. [BH16]

Endeavor
1963 | 45' | Matthews | |

Endeavor is a 42', 1963 Matthews Stock Cruiser built in Port Clinton, Ohio.  Current owner is her third.  She was purchased by the second owner and trucked out to Tacoma Yacht Club, where she has been in the same boat house since 1978.  In 1980 she was re-powered with twin 440 Chrysler, 330 horsepower engines.  The boat resided in the boat house at TYC for nearly 10 years unused prior to current owner’s purchase in 2009.  The house and interior are mostly original. 

Evening Star
1938 | 47' | Joe Dyer's Astoria Marine Construction Co. | |

Evening Star was built as a sturdy cruising yacht, and now has cruised over 150,000 nautical miles. The Doles made only two substantive changes: addition of the flying bridge, and installation of a dry exhaust stack. They also played an important role in introducing the white Spirit bears of British Columbia to the environmental community. Evening Star has been continually operated and maintained, and has never required restoration.

1926 | 36' | Blanchard Boat Co. | |

Faun is a Blanchard Standardized Cruiser, built on Lake Union in 1926.  Her 1926 purchase price was $6000.  She is one of twenty-five 36’ cruisers built by Blanchard, only a few of which survive today.  She was originally powered by a Van Blerck gas engine, and since 1946 has had a Chrysler Crown 6 cylinder gas engine, rebuilt in 1986.  Average cruising speed is 7.5 knots.  Her hull is western red cedar, her frames are white oak, and her brightwork and house are teak.  Faun has had about a dozen colorful owners, among them the Gray, Black, and Brown families of Seattle. [BH16]

Fellowship
1955 | 75' | Star Shipyard | |
Fellowship started life in 1955, as a Canadian Military vessel named Vixen. The vessel was used for training Naval Officers and rescue service in BC.
She was purchased by a Mr. Jensen and was remodeled into a comfortable yacht and renamed Fellowship.
Freya
1940 | 40' | Tacoma Boatbuilding Co. | |

Built to be strong, efficient and seaworthy, Freya has cruised Puget Sound and the Inside Passage since 1940. An Alaska veteran, (11 times) she has provided the families that loved her with adventures, life time experiences, scarred knuckles, and pride. Freya has been part of the current owners’ family for 25 years with many more to come. [BH16]

Hesitation II
1959 | 55' | Chris-Craft | |

Hesitation II was built the last year the Smith Family owned the Chris Craft Company. She was owned first by Hilton Hotels. In 1969 she was sold to a small hotel chain in Florida. In 1972 she was bought by an Everett man and shipped to Vancouver. We bought her in 1976.

Honey Bee
1951 | 42' | Reinell | |

Built in 1951 as a one of kind vessel from a Ed Monk design at the Marysvile Wa. Reinell facility for the use of the Reinell family..Converted to twin diesel power in 1978..Various upgrades added to date.

1952 | 36' | Jensen Motorboat | |

1952 Ed Monk design built at Jensen Motor Boat. She was originally named the Tony Boy II and was owned by Tony Jensen.

Linmar
1933 | 78' | New York Yacht, Launch & Engine Co. | |

Commissioned in 1932 by Howard Marlin of Marlin Firearms, Motor Yacht Linmar was built by New York Yacht, Launch and Engine to offer private, luxury cruising throughout the East Coast’s Intracoastal Waterway.  Linmar steamed the next 73 years along both coasts of North and Central America, from the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence Seaway, to the Panama Canal, Mexico, and north to Alaska’s Inside Passage.  She has operated as both a private yacht, and charter vessel.

Malibu
1926 | 100' | Blanchard Boat | |

Malibu is a classic 100-foot fantail motor yacht designed by Ted Geary.  She was built by Blanchard Boat Co. in 1926 for the owners of "Rancho Malibu", then a remote ranch on the California Coast, but now the site of Malibu, California. Her third owner developed a posh resort at Princess Louisa Inlet, BC (Canada). Now a Christian Youth camp, Malibu Camp, as well as Malibu Rapids, are named after the boat.

Maranee
1940 | 42' | Chris Craft | |

Built by the legendary Chris-Craft Corporation, Maranee was launched in Algonac, Michigan in 1940.  After serving as the flagship of the Vermilion Yacht Club in Ohio in 1946, she cruised the Great Lakes extensively, visiting Georgian Bay, the Erie Canal and the St. Lawrence Seaway. In 1959, Maranee began a new life on the west coast when she was shipped to Seattle by rail.  She is still powered by her original twin Hercules six cylinder engines. [BH16]

The owners of Maranee were instrumental in developing and organizing the original Bell Harbor Rendezvous. Maranee is the only boat that has been in attendance at every single Bell Harbor Rendezvous since it's inception in 1996!

Marian II
1928 | 42' | Lake Union Drydock | |

Marian II was built at Lake Union Drydock Company in 1928. She was designed by Otis Cutting. Her construction is oak frames and cedar planking. She was re-powered with an Isuzu diesel engine and completely refurbished in 1999-2001 by Tim Ryan of CSR Marine. Marian II was owned for years by CYA founder Herb Cleaver and was the first flagship of the CYA PNW Fleet. She was the first boat to start the tradition of boating to UW football games.  In the early years when there was no dock they would just beach her and hop off. [BH16]

Miracle
1928 | 30' | Vic Franck Boat | |

Miracle is a 1928 Vic Franck Sea Queen.  Current owners purchased this boat in 1993 with the intent to rebuild the boat to her former glory. The boat had been on the hard since 1984 and the weather had taken its toll. Over eighteen years she has had new frames, floor timbers, engine stringers, planks, decks, cabin, house, interior, all systems and has been re-powered.

Mitlite
1933 | 58' | Foss Shipyard | |

Launched origionally as “Thea Foss” the corporate yacht of the Foss Tugboat Company in 1933. Like many vessels of her time she was conscripted by the U.S. Coast Guard to serve as a patrol vessel. She patrolled the Bremerton Naval Yard for the duration of the War. Afterwards she was returned to the Foss Corporation. In 1949 Foss acquired a large fantail yacht named “Infanta” which replaced this vessel as the corporate flagship, earning the name “Thea Foss”. For the next 4 years there were 2 vessels bearing Thea’s name, and this being the smaller of the two began to be referred to as “the little one” or “Mit Lité” in Norwegian. The name was officially changed in 1953, with the vessel’s change in ownership.

 

Orba
1927 | 42' | Lake Union Drydock | |

Built in 1927 by the Lake Union Dry Dock Company, the Orba was named by her first owner, Kelly Price, who had speculated profitably in the Oregon Basin Company.  Her second owner, Professor B.T. McMinn, cruised all throughout the waters of the Northwest aboard her for 33 years.  The many logbooks, still on board, chronicle her numerous voyages.  The current owners purchased her in 1971. [BH16]

Patamar
1937 | 34' | Carr & Stone | |

This bridge deck cruiser was home built by a Boeing engineer in Wallingford. It is cedar over oak frames with a teak cabin.  I am the 5th owner spending about 8 weeks a year cruising the Salish Sea and a frequent festival participant.  The boat has been a member of the CYA for 33 years.

1919 | 72' | Blanchard | |

The schooner Red Jacket was an early design by Ted Geary, and has had a long and illustrious life. She has always been a private yacht and has suffered numerous mishaps over the years – a typhoon, two fires, one sinking and the loss of her keel to name a few.

Reverie
1952 | 42' | Chris Craft | |

Built in 1952 at the Chris Craft factory in Algonac, MI. In 1992 Dan Enloe of Portland, OR  purchased the boat and in 2000 did a major overhaul including new engines and christened the boat Cruise Missile. Current owners, Jerry & Karen O'Neill purchased the boat in Aug. 2013. They have completed projects including interior upgrades, electrical system, sanitation overhaul and extensive bright work on flybridge, aft cockpit and transom. Their goal is to restore it to its original splendor. They rechristened the boat Reverie in 2014.

Riptide
1939 | 54' | Elco | |

Featured at 1939 NY Boat Show, purchased there by Howard Johnson. Later relocated to Buffalo and then Detroit. Moved to Lake Mead when owned by mobster Moe Dalitz. Ended up eventually in Los Angeles where she was the "star" of the TV show RIPTIDE. Extensive restoration by current owners. Relocated to the Pacific Northwest in 2010. Has served the CYA as SC Fleet Flagship, PNW Fleet Flagship and CYA Flagship.

Scandalon
1953 | 45' | Chris-Craft | |

Scandalon is a double cabin Fly Bridge cruiser that was restored by the current owners beginning in 1993. The Chrysler gas engines were put in in 1965 and have almost 5,000 hours on them with only periodic maintenance performed. The boat has been kept as original as possible with only functional upgrades.

Seven Bells
1929 | 43' | Stephens Brothers | |

Seven Bells went through at least twelve owners before being purchased by Andrew Himes in August, 1998. The boat's first owner, R.B. MacBride, sold Seven Bells in 1931 after just two years. The boat changed hands several more times before being purchased by the United States War Shipping Administration on July 11, 1942. As a federally-owned boat, Seven Bells likely spent the remainder of World War II as a patrol boat keeping an eye on San Francisco Bay and California coastal waters. The boat was returned to private hands after the end of the war, and then had at least six more owners through the 1990's.

Sonata
1963 | 52' | Chris Craft | |

Sonata is a 52’ Chris Craft built in Pompanio Beach , Florida in 1963. She was the 18th of 23 hulls built that year. Chris Craft moved their company after closing the plant in Michigan. Jerry Bryant’s Seattle Chris Craft Dealership on Boat Street in Seattle sold her new to Bill Blume, a member of one of Seattle’s iconic auto dealership families who had commissioned her from the Chris-Craft factory. Bill Blume named her Squatsie from a family story about his grandmother.

St. Brendan
1947 | 40' | Matthews | |

1947 Mathews 40’ Sedan Cruiser. Built in Port Clinton, Ohio. Huge restoration around 2004 by previous owners, and lots of work done by current owner. Rebuilt transom and side decks, new Port engine. This vessel has been in Wooden Boat Festivals numerous times in Port Townsend and at South Lake Union.

Stella Maris
1966 | 33' | Owens | |

Built in Baltimore. Sold in San Rafael, CA to a San Francisco police officer, sold again to a boat broker in 1980, sold again to an apple farmer from Napa Co then sold to me in '84. Full restoration of the boat over the ensuing decades including new engines, transom, windshields, electrical, upholstery, plumbing, deck, chrome and stainless.

Suellen
1951 | 37' | Louis A. Hascall | |

Louis A. Hascall was a master carpenter employed at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and at the Blanchard Boat Company until 1952. 'Suellen's' designer, Ed Monk, Sr., was a talented Northwest naval architect. This boat design was shown in the Pacific Motor Boat magazine, April, 1940. Hascall built two boats for his own use - our boat was built during the 1940's in his Seattle backyard. 'Suellen' has had ten owners during her 65 year history.

Swietenia
1941 | 30' | Chris Craft | |

Restored by Mark and Ginger Garff 2007 - 2012
Rick and Sarah Reeves are her new long-term curators.

Tabu
1940 | 42' | Chris-Craft | |

Built in 1940 to be the personal boat for Bernard Smith then VP of Chris Craft and son of Christopher Smith the founder of Chris Craft. Bernard never took delivery; instead it went to a dealer in Spokane. The boat was launched in an inland lake to keep it from being used in the war effort and was named TABU due to war era fuel rationing. According to Bernard's son who was aboard a couple of years ago it was also the first Chris Craft to have a 110V AC system on board.

1962 | 55' | Chris Craft | |

Built in Algonac, Michigan, in 1961, and delivered to Staff Jennings Marina in Portland, Oregon, TAHOE is a 1962, 55' Chris Craft Constellation, hull #CAB-55-007. Hull material is mahogany, beam is 14' 9", LOA is 55’ 6” and draft is 3' 10". Tahoe is powered by two 275 HP 8V-71 Detroit Diesels and has a cruising speed of 12 knots.  

Thelonius
1953 | 38' | Admiral Marine, Seattle | |

Thelonius was custom-built in 1953 for a Portland, Oregon dentist who wanted a 'traditional style' boat, so Ed Monk, Sr revised a 1928 plan. Built by Admiral Marine, Lake Union, Seattle. Originally powered by a Chrysler Majestic engine plus a small 'get-home' engine, both located beneath the rear cockpit. Now powered by a 150-hp Hino turbo diesel. Yellow cedar hull planking is glue-wedged, rather than caulked. Cabins, decks, transom are teak; interior details are mahogany.

Turning Point
1928 | 42' | Lake Union Drydock | |

Turning Point is a Lake Union Dream Boat built in 1928 at the Lake Union Dry Dock (LUDD) Company in Seattle, Washington. The boat was designed by Otis Cutting. The LUDD Dream Boat production was stopped as a result of the Great Depression in 1930.  Overall length is 42 feet, with 11.5 feet beam, and a draw of 3 feet. The original configuration accommodated eight passenger berths. The forward stateroom features built-in berths and drawers underneath. The salon has double berths on each side. Originally, there was a single berth above these double berths. [BH16]

1958 | 42' | Chris Craft | |

Built in Algonac, Michigan as a custom yacht for Exide Battery, Williwaw was shipped to the west coast in 1962 and has had two major owners since. She is constructed of African mahogany over oak frames. The boat has been repowered twice (so far).

1928 | 43' | Hoffar Beeching | |

Yonder was laid up in 1928 at the Hoffar-Beeching Shipyards in Vancouver, BC.  She has a deep entry forward and is a heavily built full-displacement cruiser which has served her well over the years.  

Zanzibar
1957 | 48' | Stephens Brothers | |

Zanzibar was built in 1957 by the Stephens Brothers yard in Stockton, California, renown for it’s quality.  Originally the “Gaylee”, she was commissioned for Portland marine dealer John Trullinger at a cost of $70,000, equivalent to three custom homes at the time. Mrs. Trullinger insisted that the galley be placed up in the mid ships area, creating a unique Quad Cabin design.  The house and decks are Burmese Teak. Hull planking is Honduran Mahogany over oak frames. Her sweeping lines follow a 1947 design by Dick Stephens. She has dual helm stations and is powered by a pair of Crusader 8.1 liter Vortec gas engines producing 770 total horsepower. Cruising speed is 13 Knots with a top speed of 19 Knots.