Bell Harbor Classic Weekend 2019

admin's picture

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest
Friday, June 14, 2019 to Sunday, June 16, 2019

The Pacific Northwest Fleet of the Classic Yacht Association in conjunction with the Port of Seattle will once again sponsor the Bell Street Pier Classic Rendezvous as part of the Seattle Waterfront Classic Weekend, June 16 and 17 at Pier 66 on Seattle's downtown waterfront.  Over forty classic motor yachts, many of them built prior to World War II, will welcome visitors throughout this Father's Day weekend.  This event represents the largest gathering of classic motor yachts in the world!  Admission to all show sites is complimentary.

LUDD logoWe are thrilled to announce that this year's Marquee Class will be Lake Union Drydock built boats, coinciding with their 100-year anniversary!

On Friday June 14th, 2019 the classic yachts will participate in a Sail-In Parade along the waterfront prior to their arrival at Bell Harbor at 4 pm.  An excellent view of the yacht parade will be available from Myrtle Edwards Park or from any of the downtown piers between 2 and 4 pm.  

Bell Poster

The public is invited to the Bell Harbor Marina docks to view the classics on Saturday the 15th from 10 am to 4 pm, and on Sunday the 16th (Father's Day) from 10 am to 4 pm.  Many of the boats will be available for boarding, and guests are asked to wear soft-soled shoes.  Visitors will be asked to vote for their favorite yacht.  The winning boat's name will be inscribed on a permanent plaque on display at Bell Harbor.

The Classic Yacht Association was formed in 1970, dedicated to the promotion, preservation, restoration and maintenance of fine old power driven pleasure craft.  Almost 300 vessels are currently registered nationwide, with many located in the greater Puget Sound area.

Please refer to this page for ongoing updates and announcements.

Additional Links:

Contact Name: 

Diane Lander

Contact email address: 

Yachts Attending Bell Harbor Classic Weekend

Bell Harbor Marina, Seattle.

This is a partial list of boats planning to attend this event. Please note changes may be made and this list may not represent the final list of attending boats.

Note: Additional photos and details for many of these boats can be found by clicking on the boat name or photo.

Listed below: 9 boats.
34' 1948 Richardson
Adagio

Adagio was built in New York using Richardson’s WWII plywood technology, touted as the “Cruiser of Tomorrow”, and the hull was designed by Sparkman and Stephens in a 1943 contest. She was shipped to Puget Sound, which may account for her longevity. The Twin Crusader engines were replaced with GrayMarines in 1965. Minor upgrades have been done to the interior and systems, but her basic Sedan Cruiser design is retained. Home Port is Decatur Island where our cabin is, and her covered moorage in Portage Bay helps keep her preserved.

96' 1928 Lake Union Drydock
Blue Peter

The 96-foot ocean diesel yacht Blue Peter, built at Lake Union Drydock in Seattle in 1928 for John Graham of that city, was sold by him to George L. Machris of Los Angeles, head of the Economy Oil Co., the sale being made and the vessel delivered to the new owner at Los Angeles by L. E. Geary. [Gordon Newell, Maritime Events of 1934, H. W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle Superior Publishing Company, 1966., p. 430.]

Original engines: Twin 175hp Hall-Scott gasoline. BLUE PETER cruises at 12 knots using only 18 gallons of fuel per hour. In 1973, she was repowered with her present pair of Caterpillar diesel 334s with 3:1 reduction gears swinging her two 48" five bladed propellers. She carries 2,000 gallons of fuel and 2,200 gallons of water, giving her ample range at a good and comfortable speed.

60' 1961 Vic Franck Boat Co.
Capella

Capella was built as a long range cruising yacht for a family of 4 and crew of 2. Designed by Bill Garden and built by Vic Franck and launched in 1961. Alaska yellow cedar over oak frames on 10 inch centers. Powered by 350 hp Caterpillar D-337T.

34' 1951 Chris Craft
Cinnamon Girl

Delivered new to Palm Beach Chris Craft in West Palm Beach, Florida in 1951, Cinnamon Girl was originally named Pri Mer Go after the owner’s three daughters. She made her way to Seattle in the fifties or sixties, and was repowered by Doc Freeman's with twin OMC 305 V8 engines in 1977. Other former names include Vivace, Jolly Six and Josey II. Current owners purchased her in 1999 and repowered again in 2001, along with much refastening and main system upgrades. [BH16]

50' 1926 Martinac Shipyard

1926 Coolidge design, custom built by Martinac Shipyard Tacoma, the Corsair was reputed to be a rum runner.

45' 1963 Matthews
Endeavor

Endeavor is a 42', 1963 Matthews Stock Cruiser built in Port Clinton, Ohio.  Current owner is her third.  She was purchased by the second owner and trucked out to Tacoma Yacht Club, where she has been in the same boat house since 1978.  In 1980 she was re-powered with twin 440 Chrysler, 330 horsepower engines.  The boat resided in the boat house at TYC for nearly 10 years unused prior to current owner’s purchase in 2009.  The house and interior are mostly original. 

88' 1941 Sagstad Shipyard (Ballard, WA)
Gyrfalcon

Gyrfalcon was built by Sagstad Maritime Shipyard of Seattle in 1941 for use by the US Coast and Geodetic Survey Office.  Designed by the prolific naval architect and yacht designer H.C. Hansen, her original name was Patton, and she was used to survey the Alaskan coast and Aleutian Islands.  Upon retirement from federal service, she was converted to a long range cruising yacht. [BH16]

58' 1933 Foss Shipyard
Mitlite

Launched origionally as “Thea Foss” the corporate yacht of the Foss Tugboat Company in 1933. Like many vessels of her time she was conscripted by the U.S. Coast Guard to serve as a patrol vessel. She patrolled the Bremerton Naval Yard for the duration of the War. Afterwards she was returned to the Foss Corporation. In 1949 Foss acquired a large fantail yacht named “Infanta” which replaced this vessel as the corporate flagship, earning the name “Thea Foss”. For the next 4 years there were 2 vessels bearing Thea’s name, and this being the smaller of the two began to be referred to as “the little one” or “Mit Lité” in Norwegian. The name was officially changed in 1953, with the vessel’s change in ownership.

40' 1930 Schertzer
Rum Runner

1930 Schertzer. Built on Lake Union by Schertzer Brothers