Bell Harbor Classic Weekend 2019

admin's picture

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest
Friday, June 14, 2019 to Sunday, June 16, 2019

The Pacific Northwest Fleet of the Classic Yacht Association in conjunction with the Port of Seattle will once again sponsor the Bell Street Pier Classic Rendezvous as part of the Seattle Waterfront Classic Weekend, June 15 and 16 at Pier 66 on Seattle's downtown waterfront.  Over forty classic motor yachts, many of them built prior to World War II, will welcome visitors throughout this Father's Day weekend.  This event represents the largest gathering of classic motor yachts in the world!  Admission to all show sites is complimentary.

LUDD logo
We are thrilled to announce that this year's Marquee Class will be Lake Union Drydock built boats, coinciding with their 100-year anniversary!

 

On Friday June 14th, 2019 the classic yachts will participate in a Sail-In Parade along the waterfront prior to their arrival at Bell Harbor at 4 pm.  An excellent view of the yacht parade will be available from Myrtle Edwards Park or from any of the downtown piers between 2 and 4 pm.  

Bell Poster

The public is invited to the Bell Harbor Marina docks to view the classics on Saturday the 15th from 10 am to 4 pm, and on Sunday the 16th (Father's Day) from 10 am to 4 pm.  Many of the boats will be available for boarding, and guests are asked to wear soft-soled shoes.  Visitors will be asked to vote for their favorite yacht.  The winning boat's name will be inscribed on a permanent plaque on display at Bell Harbor.

The Classic Yacht Association was formed in 1970, dedicated to the promotion, preservation, restoration and maintenance of fine old power driven pleasure craft.  Almost 300 vessels are currently registered nationwide, with many located in the greater Puget Sound area.

Please refer to this page for ongoing updates and announcements. See the list of attending yachts below.

Additional Links:

Contact Name: 

Diane Lander

Contact email address: 

Yachts Attending Bell Harbor Classic Weekend

Below is a partial list of yachts planning to attend this event. Please note changes may be made and this list may not represent the final list of attending boats.

Note: Additional photos and details for many of these boats can be found by clicking on the boat name or photo.

Listed below: 46 boats.
34' 1948 Richardson
Adagio

Adagio was built in New York using Richardson’s WWII plywood technology, touted as the “Cruiser of Tomorrow”, and the hull was designed by Sparkman and Stephens in a 1943 contest. She was shipped to Puget Sound, which may account for her longevity. The Twin Crusader engines were replaced with GrayMarines in 1965. Minor upgrades have been done to the interior and systems, but her basic Sedan Cruiser design is retained. Home Port is Decatur Island where our cabin is, and her covered moorage in Portage Bay helps keep her preserved.

42' 1953 Cummings Boat Co.
April Ann

Designed in 1949 by Ed Monk Sr. for Ed Reinell (of Reinell Boats), the first build occurred in 1951 as the "Nancy K". "Nancy K" is still around as the "Honey Bee" and is a member of the CYA, PNW Fleet.

The second and only other build to this plan is "April Ann" built in 1953, in Tacoma at Cummings Boat Co. (where Shenanigan's Restaurant is now) for a Mr. August Seymore. Except for different engines (Chrysler Imperials originally), the canvas and enlarged swim step, the boat is original.

We have owned her for 25 years. She is homeported at the Bremerton Yacht Club.

39' 1979 Hudson
Bacchus

BACCHUS is a classic 1970’s era 39 ft fiberglass tri-cabin trawler. This type of vessel was designed to provide boaters with a fuel efficient boat in the 40 ft class in response to the 1970’s OPEC oil shortage. She was designed by Arthur Defever and built by Hudson in Taiwan. She has a single 120hp diesel engine, so she cruises at 7 knots while only burning about 1 1/2 gallon of fuel each hour. BACCHUS has cruised all the waters of Puget Sound, Canadian Gulf Islands and traveled to Alaska numerous times.

96' 1928 Lake Union Drydock
Blue Peter

The 96-foot ocean diesel yacht Blue Peter, built at Lake Union Drydock in Seattle in 1928 for John Graham of that city, was sold by him to George L. Machris of Los Angeles, head of the Economy Oil Co., the sale being made and the vessel delivered to the new owner at Los Angeles by L. E. Geary. [Gordon Newell, Maritime Events of 1934, H. W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle Superior Publishing Company, 1966., p. 430.]

Original engines: Twin 175hp Hall-Scott gasoline. BLUE PETER cruises at 12 knots using only 18 gallons of fuel per hour. In 1973, she was repowered with her present pair of Caterpillar diesel 334s with 3:1 reduction gears swinging her two 48" five bladed propellers. She carries 2,000 gallons of fuel and 2,200 gallons of water, giving her ample range at a good and comfortable speed.

60' 1961 Vic Franck Boat Co.
Capella

Capella was built as a long range cruising yacht for a family of 4 and crew of 2. Designed by Bill Garden and built by Vic Franck and launched in 1961. Alaska yellow cedar over oak frames on 10 inch centers. Powered by 350 hp Caterpillar D-337T.

34' 1951 Chris Craft
Cinnamon Girl

Delivered new to Palm Beach Chris Craft in West Palm Beach, Florida in 1951, Cinnamon Girl was originally named Pri Mer Go after the owner’s three daughters. She made her way to Seattle in the fifties or sixties, and was repowered by Doc Freeman's with twin OMC 305 V8 engines in 1977. Other former names include Vivace, Jolly Six and Josey II. Current owners purchased her in 1999 and repowered again in 2001, along with much refastening and main system upgrades.

43' 1929 Stephens Brothers

Compadre is a 43-foot bridge-deck cruiser built in 1929. She is one of three yachts built to this basic design by Stephens Brothers in Stockton, California. Her hull is Port Orford cedar on White oak frames, and her house is solid Burmese teak. She was originally powered by twin 6-cylinder Lathrop Mystic gasoline engines and was recently repowered with twin 80hp Yanmar diesels. Her interior layout and cabinetry are nearly all original. She was built for Mr. Leland Adams of San Francisco, a vice-president of Leslie Salt Co. Compadre is her original name.

38' 1930 Franck & McCrary
Comrade

Comrade was designed by H.C. Hansen and built by Franck & McCrary in 1930 on Seattle’s Lake Union. Comrade was first owned by H.W. Davis, Jr. Her second owner, C.H. Bolin, won the Small Cruiser Class of the 1936 International Predicted Log Race from Seattle to Nanaimo. In the late thirties, Bolin developed an automatic control system for the marine industry, one of which is still operational aboard the Comrade. The third owner, the Birdseye family, cruised Northwest waters aboard her for almost 70 years. Now owned by the great-granddaughter of the original owner!

50' 1926 Martinac Shipyard

1926 Coolidge design, custom built by Martinac Shipyard Tacoma, the Corsair was reputed to be a rum runner.

36' 1950 Adams Boat Co.
Duffy

Duffy was built on Lake Union by the Adams Boat Co. to an Ed Monk Sr. design for a family cruiser from 1947. She was launched in 1950.

31' 1958 Owens, Baltimore, MD
Dulcinea
Dulcinea is a classic sedan cruiser that has been cruising the Puget Sound since 1957. A flying bridge was added in the 1970s She was restored in the late 1990s.
44' 1927 Ballard Marine Railway
El Mistico

El Mistico was on the leading edge of technology when she was built in Ballard in 1927. According to an article in Power Boat Magazine, “The application of the low-powered oil engine to the propulsion of medium sized yachts and workboats is a comparatively new thing”. From the January 1928 edition of Power Boat Magazine:  A note on El Mistico's efficiency is that her owner, E. Michelson, reports that she was cruised to Vancouver and returned to Seattle and then cruised for four weekend trips for a total fuel cost of $6.10.

42' 1928 Lake Union Drydock
Emmeline

A rare bridge deck version "Lake Union Dreamboat"

45' 1963 Matthews
Endeavor

Endeavor is a 42', 1963 Matthews Stock Cruiser built in Port Clinton, Ohio.  Current owner is her third.  She was purchased by the second owner and trucked out to Tacoma Yacht Club, where she has been in the same boat house since 1978.  In 1980 she was re-powered with twin 440 Chrysler, 330 horsepower engines.  The boat resided in the boat house at TYC for nearly 10 years unused prior to current owner’s purchase in 2009.  The house and interior are mostly original. 

33' 1947 Chris-Craft
Fandango

Fandango was delivered to Bryant Marine in 1947 for an officer at Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club who named it Freelancer. Current owner’s cousin's husband recognized it as a boat he was a guest on several times. When owner acquired her, he saw she had an extra 100 gallon fuel tank in the stern bench for traveling to Alaska, and noticed first thing that she turned to port because the keel was warped. An expert shipwright explained that it was a “Monday boat,” and when it was uprighted they had not gone an extra half turn and back. Current owner says, “Heck, I had the keel built up so it is little fat at midship. Come aboard and hear more of the story.”

36' 1926 Blanchard Boat Co.
Faun

Faun is a Blanchard Standardized Cruiser, built on Lake Union in 1926.  Her 1926 purchase price was $6000.  She is one of twenty-five 36’ cruisers built by Blanchard, only a few of which survive today.  She was originally powered by a Van Blerck gas engine, and since 1946 has had a Chrysler Crown 6 cylinder gas engine, rebuilt in 1986.  Average cruising speed is 7.5 knots.  Her hull is western red cedar, her frames are white oak, and her brightwork and house are teak.  Faun has had about a dozen colorful owners, among them the Gray, Black, and Brown families of Seattle.

33' 1963 Vinal Beal
Flying Eagle

Flying Eagle, as named originally, was launched by Vinal Beal on the Moosabec Reach of Beals Island Maine in 1963. Vinal designed & built all such lobster boats during winter when not lobstering, by means of a half-model (no plans).

65'
Forest Surveyor

Forest Surveyor was built in Vancouver B.C. as a picket boat for patrol in WW II.  After the war she was transferred to B.C. Forestry as a patrol and survey vessel.  She is owned now by the N.W. Marine Propulsion Museum.  

40' 1940 Tacoma Boatbuilding Co.
Freya

Built to be strong, efficient and seaworthy, Freya has cruised Puget Sound and the Inside Passage since 1940. An Alaska veteran, (11 times) she has provided the families that loved her with adventures, life time experiences, scarred knuckles, and pride. Freya has been part of the current owners’ family for 25 years with many more to come.

44' 1947
Graywin

Graywin , a 44' Monk design built in 1947.
LOA: 47 ft 0 in, Maximum Draft: 3 ft 8 in
Engines: Detroit 4-71's, Total Power: 195

88' 1941 Sagstad Shipyard (Ballard, WA)
Gyrfalcon

Gyrfalcon was built by Sagstad Maritime Shipyard of Seattle in 1941 for use by the US Coast and Geodetic Survey Office.  Designed by the prolific naval architect and yacht designer H.C. Hansen, her original name was Patton, and she was used to survey the Alaskan coast and Aleutian Islands.  Upon retirement from federal service, she was converted to a long range cruising yacht.

36' 1952 Jensen Motorboat

1952 Ed Monk design built at Jensen Motor Boat. She was originally named the Tony Boy II and was owned by Tony Jensen.

42' 1940 Chris Craft
Maranee

Built by the legendary Chris-Craft Corporation, Maranee was launched in Algonac, Michigan in 1940.  After serving as the flagship of the Vermilion Yacht Club in Ohio in 1946, she cruised the Great Lakes extensively, visiting Georgian Bay, the Erie Canal and the St. Lawrence Seaway. In 1959, Maranee began a new life on the west coast when she was shipped to Seattle by rail.  She is still powered by her original twin Hercules six cylinder engines.

The owners of Maranee were instrumental in developing and organizing the original Bell Harbor Rendezvous. Maranee is the only boat that has been in attendance at every single Bell Harbor Rendezvous since it's inception in 1996!

42' 1928 Lake Union Drydock
Marian II

Marian II was built at Lake Union Drydock Company in 1928. She was designed by Otis Cutting. Her construction is oak frames and cedar planking. She was re-powered with an Isuzu diesel engine and completely refurbished in 1999-2001 by Tim Ryan of CSR Marine. Marian II was owned for years by CYA founder Herb Cleaver and was the first flagship of the CYA PNW Fleet. She was the first boat to start the tradition of boating to UW football games.  In the early years when there was no dock they would just beach her and hop off.

30' 1928 Vic Franck Boat
Miracle

Miracle is a 1928 Vic Franck Sea Queen.  Current owners purchased this boat in 1993 with the intent to rebuild the boat to her former glory. The boat had been on the hard since 1984 and the weather had taken its toll. Over eighteen years she has had new frames, floor timbers, engine stringers, planks, decks, cabin, house, interior, all systems and has been re-powered.

58' 1933 Foss Shipyard
Mitlite

Launched origionally as “Thea Foss” the corporate yacht of the Foss Tugboat Company in 1933. Like many vessels of her time she was conscripted by the U.S. Coast Guard to serve as a patrol vessel. She patrolled the Bremerton Naval Yard for the duration of the War. Afterwards she was returned to the Foss Corporation. In 1949 Foss acquired a large fantail yacht named “Infanta” which replaced this vessel as the corporate flagship, earning the name “Thea Foss”. For the next 4 years there were 2 vessels bearing Thea’s name, and this being the smaller of the two began to be referred to as “the little one” or “Mit Lité” in Norwegian. The name was officially changed in 1953, with the vessel’s change in ownership.

51' 1927 Hoffar-Beeching

Nonchalant was built in 1930 by Boeing of Canada in Vancouver BC, and was owned by the yard foreman until the late 30’s, when she was moved to the US. She has been in the Seattle area for the last 20+ years.

42' 1927 Lake Union Drydock
Orba

Built in 1927 by the Lake Union Dry Dock Company, the Orba was named by her first owner, Kelly Price, who had speculated profitably in the Oregon Basin Company.  Her second owner, Professor B.T. McMinn, cruised all throughout the waters of the Northwest aboard her for 33 years.  The many logbooks, still on board, chronicle her numerous voyages.  The current owners purchased her in 1971.

34' 1937 Carr & Stone
Patamar

This bridge deck cruiser was home built by a Boeing engineer in Wallingford. She is cedar over oak frames with a teak cabin.  I am the 5th owner spending about 8 weeks a year cruising the Salish Sea and a frequent festival participant.  The boat has been a member of the CYA for 33 years.

47' 1927 Schertzer
Riptide

Riptide was built in Ballard in 1927 by the Schertzer Brothers Boat and Machine Company. A 47-foot bridge-deck cruiser, she is planked in Port Orford cedar on White oak frames over an apitong backbone with Western Red cedar houses.  She displaces 12 tons, and is powered by a Cummins 5.9 liter diesel, cruising at 9 knots.  She was overhauled by the Port Townsend Shipwright's Co-Op in 2015, and is moored in Port Madison, on Bainbridge Island, WA.

54' 1939 Elco
Riptide

Featured at 1939 NY Boat Show, purchased there by Howard Johnson. Later relocated to Buffalo and then Detroit. Moved to Lake Mead when owned by mobster Moe Dalitz. Ended up eventually in Los Angeles where she was the "star" of the TV show RIPTIDE. Extensive restoration by current owners. Relocated to the Pacific Northwest in 2010. Has served the CYA as SC Fleet Flagship, PNW Fleet Flagship and CYA Flagship.

40' 1930 Schertzer
Rum Runner

1930 Schertzer. Built on Lake Union by Schertzer Brothers

45' 1953 Chris-Craft
Scandalon

Scandalon is a double cabin Fly Bridge cruiser that was restored by the current owners beginning in 1993. The Chrysler gas engines were put in in 1965 and have almost 5,000 hours on them with only periodic maintenance performed. The boat has been kept as original as possible with only functional upgrades.

36' 1906 Elco
Sea Witch

Sea Witch was built in 1906 from British lifeboat plans. She was the first motor powered lifeboat in San Francisco in 1907. She was retired from the Coast Guard in 1913, and the house was added in 1937.  She is powered by a Perkins 6-354 diesel.  Sea Witch celebrated her 110th birthday In 2016.

42' 1955 Chris Craft
SeaCloud

SeaCloud, 1955 Chris Craft 42' Commodore, Built in Algonac, Michigan. Twin 440 (330hp ea) Chrysler gas, mahogony hull and cabin, teak decks. Delivered to Newport Beach, CA and moved to Washington in the 1970's. 24 years with the current owner.

43' 1929 Stephens Brothers
Seven Bells

This classic 1929 pilot-house cruiser was built in Stockton, CA by Stephens Brothers, one of eight or nine boats using the same blueprints. Purchased by the United States War Shipping Administration in 1942, the boat served as an anti-submarine net tender in San Francisco Bay during WW2. The boat was fully restored in 1947 and then again in 1998 after purchase by its current owner. The hull is of Port Orford Cedar, the house is teak, and the soles are fir. The fourth-generation engines are Yanmar diesels. The lace curtains were a gift made by a friend’s elderly mother in Milan, Italy.

52' 1963 Chris Craft
Sonata

Sonata is a 52’ Chris Craft built in Pompanio Beach , Florida in 1963. She was the 18th of 23 hulls built that year. Chris Craft moved their company after closing the plant in Michigan. Jerry Bryant’s Seattle Chris Craft Dealership on Boat Street in Seattle sold her new to Bill Blume, a member of one of Seattle’s iconic auto dealership families who had commissioned her from the Chris-Craft factory. Bill Blume named her Squatsie from a family story about his grandmother.

40' 1947 Matthews
St. Brendan

1947 Mathews 40’ Sedan Cruiser. Built in Port Clinton, Ohio. Huge restoration around 2004 by previous owners, and lots of work done by current owner. Rebuilt transom and side decks, new port engine. This vessel has been in Wooden Boat Festivals numerous times in Port Townsend and at South Lake Union.

42' 1940 Chris-Craft
Tabu

Built in 1940 to be the personal boat for Bernard Smith then VP of Chris Craft and son of Christopher Smith the founder of Chris Craft. Bernard never took delivery; instead it went to a dealer in Spokane. The boat was launched in an inland lake to keep her from being used in the war effort and was named TABU due to war era fuel rationing. According to Bernard's son who was aboard a couple of years ago she was also the first Chris Craft to have a 110V AC system on board.

55' 1962 Chris Craft
Tahoe

Built in Algonac, Michigan, in 1961, and delivered to Staff Jennings Marina in Portland, Oregon, TAHOE is a 1962, 55' Chris Craft Constellation, hull #CAB-55-007. Hull material is mahogany, beam is 14' 9", LOA is 55’ 6” and draft is 3' 10". Tahoe is powered by two 275 HP 8V-71 Detroit Diesels and has a cruising speed of 12 knots.  

42' 1928 Lake Union Drydock
Turning Point

Turning Point is a Lake Union Dream Boat built in 1928 at the Lake Union Dry Dock (LUDD) Company in Seattle, Washington. The boat was designed by Otis Cutting. The LUDD Dream Boat production was stopped as a result of the Great Depression in 1930.  Overall length is 42 feet, with 11.5 feet beam, and a draw of 3 feet. The original configuration accommodated eight passenger berths. The forward stateroom features built-in berths and drawers underneath. The salon has double berths on each side. Originally, there was a single berth above these double berths.

57' 1965 Chris Craft
Unforgettable

UNFORGETTABLE is a 1965, 57 ft Chris Craft Constellation, commonly referred to as a "Connie".

42' 1958 Chris Craft

Built in Algonac, Michigan as a custom yacht for Exide Battery, Williwaw was shipped to the west coast in 1962 and has had two major owners since. She is constructed of African mahogany over oak frames. The boat has been repowered twice (so far).

48' 1927 Hoffar Beeching
Willobee G
47' 1926 Lake Union Drydock
Winifred

Winifred 1926. Was lengthened to 47'

Winifred sold for $7,125.00 new in 1926.  She was built for Adolph and Winifred Schmidt of Olympia, Washington. Mr. Schmidt surprised his wife by naming the boat after her.

48' 1957 Stephens Brothers
Zanzibar

Zanzibar was built in 1957 by the Stephens Brothers yard in Stockton, California, renown for it’s quality.  Originally the “Gaylee”, she was commissioned for Portland marine dealer John Trullinger at a cost of $70,000, equivalent to three custom homes at the time. Mrs. Trullinger insisted that the galley be placed up in the mid ships area, creating a unique Quad Cabin design.  The house and decks are Burmese Teak. Hull planking is Honduran Mahogany over oak frames. Her sweeping lines follow a 1947 design by Dick Stephens. She has dual helm stations and is powered by a pair of Crusader 8.1 liter Vortec gas engines producing 770 total horsepower. Cruising speed is 13 Knots with a top speed of 19 Knots.