Welcome New Member Yachts

Welcome to these new CYA Member Yachts! This list shows new member vessels received since September of last year. (Most recent first.)

23 Records Found

Amanda

Amanda

Member Type: 

Vintage

Boat Name: 

Amanda

prev-names: 

Yvancha (1956), Dreaming Star, Moonbeam (1970), Dimgio (1974)

Year: 

1956

Length: 

79'

Builder: 

Graham Bunn Norfolk, UK

Owner: 

Leonidas Papaoikonomou

Fleet: 

  • USA

Home Port: 

Piraeus, Greece, Marina Zeas

Amanda is a classic wooden boat built in 1956 in the U.K. (refitted in 2018). A 24 meter cruiser traveling 10-12 miles/hour and accommodates up to 12 people in its 5 cabins. Charters are offered, with tailor made menus on extra charge. (For daily cruise accommodates up to 49 PAX.)

Amanda was designed by the naval architect. R.M. Martins and built in UK at the shipyard of GRAHAM BUNN (WROXHM) NORFOLK in 1956. At some point the company name changed to Windboats Marine and is still in business today building ocean going yachts and powerboats (Gunfleet and Hardy, and until a few years ago they also built Oysters).

On that time YVANCHA was the longest (24m) built yacht ever.  She was  constructed  from wood with teak deck , using a similar method to the historical vessels of FAIRMILE  TYPE, and has a broadly similar hull shape to the Fairmile Type B.

Construction is of double diagonal moulded construction with timber planking laid diagonally with calico between the skins and nailed through with copper boat nails and roves. Hull shape is round bilge displacement form with high length:beam ratio.

Contact Owner for Charter Information

Engine Info: 

Powered by 2 Rolls Royce Diesel engines of 200 BHP each which are still performing trouble free.
AttachmentSize
PDF icon Amanda Brochure1009.93 KB
AmandaAmandaAmanda
AmandaAmanda

Catoctin

Catoctin

Member Type: 

Member

Boat Name: 

Catoctin

prev-names: 

Atralia, “The Wheeler”

Year: 

1946

Length: 

40'

Builder: 

Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Whitestone, NY

Designer: 

Eldredge-McInnis

Owner: 

Kyle Holt

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest

Home Port: 

Salmon Bay Marine, Seattle

Construction: Catoctin is Wheeler hull No. 193. Her hull is fully double-carvel planked with an outer layer of ¾” mahogany and an inner layer ½” red cedar. Her frames are sawn oak, 1-1/4” X 1-5/8” - 9” OC (typical). Her hull fastenings are #14 Silicon Bronze (Everdur) screws and are likely original to construction. Her floors are 1-1/2” thick as with bronze and steel fasteners to the frames. Her weather decks are now non-skid polymer with rainways and plywood sub-decking and would have originally been treated canvas.

Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp. constructed hundreds of wooden costal patrol and minesweeper vessels during WWII. Post war, it would appear that they continued to build their vessels to battle-ready standards.

Propulsion: Her powertrain has always been twin gasoline engines, twin prop, and direct drive. Originally, she had two 140hp, 6 cylinder Chrysler Crowns. She was repowered in 1968 with two 210hp, 8 cylinder Chrysler LM318’s by Lake Union Drydock mechanics and shipwrights. Her cruising speed is approximately 9-10kts. She has allegedly hit 18kts, likely with the aid of trim tabs which were added at some point and have since been removed. Fuel consumption is approximately 2.5gal/engine/hr at 7kts.

Historical Background: During WWII, Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp. supported the war effort by building hundreds of medium wooded costal patrol and minesweeper vessels. Post war, Wheeler, like many other now classic boat builders, had to change course to serve a United States in peacetime. Wheeler appears to have valued quality over quantity and they focused on custom, stylish, and frankly overbuilt recreational craft. It was in this climate that Catoctin’s keel was laid.

Catoctin is a 40ft Sunlounge with a “Streamsheer” hull designed by Eldredge-McInnis and featuring the “Wheelerlightenair” extended portlighting (that is a continuous band of portlghting that runs from the forward cabin to amidships, port and starboard). She is hull No. 193, built in Whitestone, NY in 1946. Though it is not clear how many Sunlounges were built, it is likely less than ten but more than just this one. In late 1946 or early 1947, Catoctin was sent to Seattle to be a showroom model. This showroom was slated to be at 1131 Fairview Ave (near current day Yachtfis Marine on Lake Union). However, it seems that Wheeler could not compete in Seattle’s boat market and thus Catoctin was likely the only one brought to the city. Now orphaned, she was soon adopted by another boat building company.

Around 1950, she was purchased by George Hobart Stebbins Sr., one of the co-presidents of Lake Union Drydock Company (LUDD). She belonged to the Stebbins family but she was often used as a company boat. Despite not being a Lake Union Dream Boat, she still played host to LUDD family, craftsmen, and clients. At this point in her life, Catoctin was simply named “Wheeler” or “The Wheeler” as she really was the only one in the area, and her manufacturer’s name was already emblazoned in brass on her transom. We hope to someday hear all of her stories from her decades at LUDD.

One very important event that we do know of was in 1968 when she was repowered and had her flying bridge added under the direction of George Hobart Stebbins Sr. She originally had twin 140hp Chrysler Crowns which were replaced with 210hp Chrysler LM318’s. Also, a 6.5kw Onan gasoline generator as well as an electric stove and refrigerator were added to replace the original oil fired appliances. The most obvious addition was the flying bridge along with alterations to the forward main cabin to support the new structure. To complete the classic boat bingo, the flying bridge was designed by Ed Monk Sr. All of the modifications were performed at LUDD by LUDD craftsmen.

In 1992, likely due to changing times, Catoctin was sold from LUDD. We are still seeking details for this next period of her history. We know that there have been four owners between us and the Stebbins’. Her third owner was Charles Draper, owner of Salmon Bay Marina until 2018. Catoctin has called Salmon Bay Marina home since about 1992. During some portion this period, she was named Atralia.

In May 2017, Kyle and Garret Holt (your humble storytellers) purchased her. Interesting, she was appraised for more-or-less the same price she was offered for in 1946. We have been engineering crew on the SS.Virginia V since 2009, and thus old boats have slowly but thoroughly worked their way into our psyche. We could not have dreamed of encountering such a fine lady, with such an intriguing story, whose pedigree and stewardship has made her able to weather even first-time boat owners.

We have named her Catoctin after a forest / mountain range in the northern reaches of Maryland. The name originates from the Susquehanna region native peoples. There is no exact translation “Catoctin,” though one translation is “the place of many deer” and another is “sacred place.” No tribe lived there, but all local tribes frequented the area as it was a place plentiful enough to share. In similar fashion, it was an East Coast location special to us in our childhood and, similar to the boat, it is best shared.

We love her and we look forward to adding plenty more chapters to her story!

Tusitala

Tusitala

Member Type: 

Classic

Boat Name: 

Tusitala

prev-names: 

Barnaby, Elizabeth

Year: 

1908

Length: 

58'

Builder: 

Anderson Boat Yard

Designer: 

J Gielow

Owner: 

Richard Gilmore

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest

Home Port: 

Poulsbo

Historical Background

Tusitala was built in 1908 in the Anderson Boat Yard in Seattle for John J Sessnon who owned the boat for just 4 years before he died. The boat was named Elizabeth at that time. After that the boat was owned by the 13th Mayor of Vancouver BC. At some point along the line the boat was renamed Barnaby for a very short time, and then given the name it still holds today... Tusitala which means the teller of tales.

The boat changed hands a handful of times and in 1954 an upper house was added and a slight modification made to the forward hull planks to add height to the boards to match those behind them.

We purchased the boat in December of 2017 where she was moored in the Liberty Bay Marina and moved to Port of Poulsbo Marina.

 

Hull Construction
Bent oak frame, 2 inch fir to the water line, 2 inch teak above the water line.
 

Engine Info: 

Dual 1954 Lister 6 cylinder diesel engines. Cruising speed 6 - 10 knots.

Videos: 

the_yacht_tusitala_-_a_story_teller_for_the_ages

Zumbrota

Zumbrota

Member Type: 

Classic

Boat Name: 

Zumbrota

Year: 

1918

Length: 

87'

Builder: 

Charles L. Seabury Co.

Owner: 

Hornblower Cruises & Events

Fleet: 

  • Southern California

Home Port: 

Marina Del Rey, CA

Built for Charles Ringling, of Ringling Brothers Circus, Zumbrota is now a harbor tour vessel in Marina Del Rey, California.

See the attachment below for her complete history.

AttachmentSize
PDF icon Zumbrota Historical Register1.67 MB
ZumbrotaZumbrota

Wild Goose

Wild Goose

Member Type: 

Vintage

Boat Name: 

Wild Goose

prev-names: 

USS YMS-328, La Beverie

Year: 

1943

Length: 

136'

Builder: 

Ballard Marine Railway

Official Number: 

290117

Designer: 

USN

Owner: 

Hornblower Cruises & Events

Fleet: 

  • Southern California

Home Port: 

Marina Del Rey, CA

Wild Goose is a converted Minesweeper, formerly owned by John Wayne.  She is now used as a harbor tour vessel in Marina Del Rey, CA.

For complete history, please see the attachment below.

Engine Info: 

Twin GM 8-268 500hp diesels
AttachmentSize
PDF icon Wild Goose Historic Register1.69 MB
Wild GooseWild GooseWild Goose
Wild GooseWild GooseWild Goose
Wild GooseWild Goose

Wartime Use: 

Wild Goose was commissioned as a Mine Sweeper by the Navy during World War II. 
Wild Goose in WWII

Sofia

Sofia

Boat Name: 

Sofia

prev-names: 

Descano Bay, GAY NINETIES

Year: 

1968

Length: 

42'

Builder: 

Gordie Hall

Official Number: 

952235

Designer: 

William Garden

Owner: 

Devon & Janet Liles

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest

Home Port: 

Port of Port Orchard

Brief History

Sofia, a William Garden designed North Sea Trawler, was built by Gordy Hall and another shipwright over the course of 14 months and launched as GAY NINETIES in Sechelt, BC, in 1968. Before launching her, Gordy took the original plans to Mr. William Garden and asked him change the stern from the original Canoe style to a modified Fantail. He also added the Iron Wood Ice Sheathing which protects her hull in the winter from light icing conditions.

Gordy built this boat for his family. Together, they logged thousands of hours in BC and SE Alaska before selling her in the early 70’s. Renamed the DESCANSO BAY and becoming Tour Boat based in Nanaimo, BC;. she took her guests in and around Western Vancouver Island and the surrounding bays .

Descanso Bay was purchased in 1974, by an American, Bob Seymour who brought her down to the Seattle area and renamed her Sofia He and his family cruised with her until 1980. Several owners later and losing track of her till the year 2000, she was purchased by the former owner of Wolf's Marine, Mr. Dave Nelson and his wife. Because of the poor condition she was in, they vowed to save her, thus the first Major Refit would begin.

With her original beauty restored she cruised the Salish Sea, San Juans and soon called Portage Bay her home until 2006 when she was purchased as a part time live aboard by Dr. Oliver finding good fortune in upgrades and loving care by her new Skipper.

Sofia joined our family in 2008 embarking on a Second Refit and starting New Family Traditions, such as Christmas New Years Day Cruise with Family and friends. Sofia is excited to revisiting her Birthplace of Sechelt, BC and showing her new family places she has been in both Canada and Alaska.
 

Brief Description

Purchased by her current custodians in October of 2008 she transferred her flag to her new homeport in Gig Harbor, WA and then finally to Port Orchard, WA

Sofia, a 38.5’ North Sea Trawler designed and modified by William Garden launched in 1968 from Sechelt, BC. She is constructed from Alaskan Cedar over Oak with Fir and Mahogany Decks. Her original Volvo MD50A Diesel produces 90 Hp and propelled by her Capital Gear pushing a 30LH22 propeller she has a cruising speed of 7.2 Kts.

Specifications
17 Net Tonnages 22 Gross Tonnages
LOA (feet) 41’ 6” Beam (feet) 14’ 6”
LWL (feet) 38’ 6” Draft (feet) 5’ 6”
HOWL (feet) 27’ 6”

500 Gallons Diesel 250 Gallons Potable Water
25 Gallons Black Water

Prior Owners
Gordie Hall, Sechelt, BC ‘67 to ‘72 GAY NINETIES
A Tour Company, Nanaimo, BC ‘72 to ‘74 DESCANSO BAY
Bob Seymour, Seattle ‘74 to ‘80 SOFIA
Unknown - Puget Sound ‘80 to ‘89 SOFIA
Jonathan Horner ‘89 to ‘93 SOFIA
Nicholas & Connie Adamo ‘93 to ‘96 SOFIA
David Nelson, Seattle ‘96 to 04 SOFIA
Dr. William Oliver ‘04 to ‘08 SOFIA
Janet & Devon Liles, Gig Harbor ‘08 to -- SOFIA

Refit 1996
Some time in the Nineties, Sofia had several planks replaced. These planks were harvested from the blast area around Mt. St. Helens. Because the wood had sat there for a many years before harvesting, the timber became infested with Insects. When the insect layden planks were installed the insects saw this “all you can eat and tasty old growth Alaskan Cedar”. It was not long after that the new owner, Dave Nelson, in 1996, had to re-plank about 80% of the hull below the water line.

The original wooden wheel house was replaced with a newly constructed aluminum house due to had a considerable amount of rot. A new aluminum wheel house was constructed and installed.

Sofia was completely rewired along with new electrics, along with plumbing, sanitation, refrigeration and heating.

Resting
In 2004, Sofia again was sold again as a part time live aboard on Lake Union by Dr. Oliver. Between ‘06 and ‘08, the owner updated the Navigation and other electronics.

Second Refit - Ongoing
We purchased her December of 2008 and she immediately went back into the yard for some much needed hull paint, six planks and the restoration of her name to her backside. Finally, in 2009, three months later, we able to take her to her new home in Gig Harbor.

Over the next four years minor maintenance was done, systems integration, and a few planks here and there and the house was stripped to bare wood and brought back with five coats of sealer and five coats of Captains Varnish.

Late summer of 2012, the refit started again in earnest. We removed the original rotting Sailcloth and Tar deck on the coach roof covering the Galley and the Lido (aft) Deck and replaced it with 2 coats of Sealing Epoxy, two Layers of Fiberglass and finishing it with Awl Grip with Anti Skid. During this process we had to remove the lido deck’s original cedar ceiling but due to its age, fifty plus, it just split and broke apart as we removed it. Installing a new ceiling we used old growth cedar to get the original smooth and knot free look.

Relocation of the Propane Tank’s from a storage box on the Coach Roof to a permanent storage locker constructed in the Lido Deck. Two more hull planks, one deck plank and Brand New Stainless Steel Stanchions were fabricated and installed along with life lines.

The old wool rug covering the Galley and Salon floors was replaced with Old Growth / Straight Line Fur and Purple Heart Accents in 2015 along with the top of the Forward mast was replaced via a Dutchman Splice.

In 2016 we found the Lower section of the Rear Mast on the Coach Roof was replaced due to Massive Dry Rot and also we found bit of dry rot in the in the stern just below the transom but vowed to address it during 2017 ride on the rail.

In March of 2017 we hauled and found the rot was in the Rim Log (a beam that is attached to the Transom Rib). The rot was in each corner and only went 2” into this 6” x 4” beam. The rot was removed by chiseling away. Two Dutchmans were installed in each corner.

We also found three of the original 50+ year old planks had developed *Iron Sickness on both the Starboard Port side, behind the Ice Sheathing, midship. These were removed and replace with new Alaskan Cedar planks.

*Iron Sickness
adjective, Nautical.
noting a wooden hull, fastened with iron, in which chemical interaction between the iron and the wood has resulted in the decay of both; nail-sick.

Oh, and did I mention Three hull planks above the water line on the port side a deck plank on the same side along with ten sisters and one Rib.

Since we have been undercover for the past couple of years, both of the Mast Stepping Hinges has seen a lot of use lately and we have taken the opportunity build a new cantilever design, the same as used by Dutch canal boats, to strengthen and rebuild them.

Engine Info: 

Power: Volvo MD70 90HP Diesel Gear: Capitol 2HD-EC 2.5 to 1 Wheel: 30 LH 22 Speed: 8.5 Kts @ 2100 RPM Max 7.2 Kts @1650 RPM Cruise @ 1.7 GPH Range: >2000 NM
SofiaSofia

Vida Mia

Vida-Mia

Boat Name: 

Vida Mia

Year: 

1929

Length: 

61'

Builder: 

Stephens Brothers

Owner: 

Scott & Rachel Bradley

Fleet: 

  • USA

Home Port: 

Waikiki Yacht Club, Honolulu

The worldly 61-foot wooden yacht Vida Mia has traveled the California coastline and crossed the ocean to Hawaii where she currently resides at Ala Wai Harbor.

If her teak could speak, it would tell stories of celebrities like Louis Vuitton, Elizabeth Taylor, and the Travoltas sipping champagne in the lee of Diamond Head.

Built for luxury, in Stockton, California, Vida Mia served her country during World War II, when she was conscripted by the Coast Guard to patrol the San Francisco Bay. She arrived in Hawai‘i after serving as an unofficial escort of the famed Transpac sailing race in 1963, although it’s said perhaps the Transpac racing fleet was really escorting her.

In Hawai‘i, she was a diving boat on Maui for years before coming to O‘ahu, where nearly everyone you meet has a story of an event or adventure while on Vida Mia.

Wartime Use: 

Patrolled San Francisco Bay during WWII.

Jaguar

Jaguar

Member Type: 

Classic

Boat Name: 

Jaguar

prev-names: 

Skylark

Year: 

1939

Length: 

30'

Builder: 

Unknown

Owner: 

Simon Bancroft

Fleet: 

  • Canadian

Home Port: 

Vancouver
Historical Background

Built for a Japanese fisherman in 1939. Seized after Pearl Harbor and sold for $750. Found abandoned in a Fraser River boatyard by current owner in 1978 and purchased for $75. She had been modernized with a Chrysler engine and a lengthened transom stern, quality of construction much inferior to original and significantly rotted.

Rebuilt and reconfigured over an eight year period by current owner, she became a towing launch/workboat but now primarily a family cruiser. She has towed a variety of yachts and floats and cruised between Victoria and Desolation Sound. She has full mechanical controls in the wheelhouse and outside station, with chain steering that features a removable tiller at the stern for summer cruising.

Hull Construction

Oak frames, traditional cedar planked forward, double planked epoxied from midships aft. Strengthened with knees, extra clamp and heavier engine beds and keel. Entire hull glass/epoxy covered. Trunk and house tongue and groove cedar, original interior never painted.

Engine Info: 

Original engine: Easthope 7 hp. Current engine: 1946 Chrysler Ace
JaguarJaguarJaguar

Tenango

Tenango

Member Type: 

Classic

Boat Name: 

Tenango

prev-names: 

Lorna Doone II, Bettina Wychwood, Moby Dick II

Year: 

1930

Length: 

42'

Builder: 

Elco, Flattop, Hull # 2638

Official Number: 

230010

Owner: 

Eric Courtney / Brenda Robinson

Fleet: 

  • Canadian

Home Port: 

Belleville, Ontario CANADA

Original owner Edward  Weston,  J. Mofett  name Lorna Doone II.
Richard Powers later purchased in 1969 maintained the name Tenango
Purchased by present owners in 2015, undergoing complete refit.

Engine Info: 

Cummins 6BTA Turbo 270 hp
TenangoTenangoTenango

Shearwater

Shearwater

Member Type: 

Classic

Boat Name: 

Shearwater

prev-names: 

Pamabro

Year: 

1933

Length: 

45'

Builder: 

Schertzer Boat and Machine

Owner: 

William Griffen

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest

Home Port: 

Seattle

Original owners: United Airlines pilot, Frank W. Anderline and his wife, Florence. Christened Pamabro (Pa, Ma, and Brownie the dog) in January of 1933 at the W.J. Schertzer Boat and Machine Works on Lake Union, Seattle. The Anderline's used her as a live-aboard moored at the Seattle Yacht Club. 


1936: Sold to Ray and Ruth Krueger, who renamed her Shearwater the following year. Ray Krueger was Seattle Division Mgr. for National Lead (Dutch Boy Paint).

1943: Sold to to Leslie G. Prendergast.

1949: Bought back by the Krugers.

1951: Sold to Charles O. and Alyce (“Granny”) Carroll. Charles O. Carroll was the King County Prosecutor.

1969: Sold to King County Superior Court Judge Joel A.C. Rindal and his wife Helen in partnership with King County Republican Chairman, Kenneth Rogstad and his wife, Doris. The Rindal’s bought out the Rogstad’s interest in Shearwater in 1977 and continued to cruise her for another twenty years. 

1997: Sold to Ron and Kathy McClure of Wenatchee, WA. McClure, the author of the popular books, “Classic Wooden Yachts of the Pacific North West” and “Classic Wooden Motor Yachts”, moved her to Anacortes. That same year Shearwater suffered a near fatal calamity. The boat moored next to her in the Anacortes Marina exploded, severely damaging Shearwater and other boats in the vicinity. The McClure’s spent the next five years bringing her back from the brink.

2002: Sold to Jan & Kathi Skillingstead, Seattle.

2018: Sold to WIlliam Griffen, Seattle.

Engine Info: 

Original: Hall Scott Invader 250 hp. Second: Hall Scott Invader 250 hp. Current: John Deere 4045TFM Diesel 120 H.P.

Colnett

Colnett

Member Type: 

Classic

Boat Name: 

Colnett

Year: 

1924

Length: 

42'

Builder: 

Sea Craft Shipyard

Designer: 

Edson R. Schock

Owner: 

Bunker and Kathy Hill

Fleet: 

  • Southern California

Home Port: 

Newport Beach Yacht Club

COLNETT is a 42′ motor cruiser which was built in 1924 by Sea Craft Shipyard in Wilmington, Ca. She was originally built for Mr. Henry Vaughn, with sea trials and commissioning extending into early 1925. She was constructed to Edson B. Schock Design #307. The hull is carvel planked with cedar on bent oak frames. Her cabins are built of select teak with tongue and groove decks, canvas or fiberglass covered. The original power was an Eastern Standard gasoline engine and is currently powered by a Caterpillar Model D320 4-Cylinder diesel engine. Changes from the original drawings include a modified window layout, an aft mast stepped to the top of the upper deck and fitted with a crows/nest viewing platform.

In 1938, she was sold to Captain Frank Bivens with the express intent of catching Broadbill Swordfish on Tuna Club regulation tackle. After World War II Mr. Bivens decided to travel and sold the boat to friend and fishing companion Mr. Ken Neptune. Both Mr. Neptune and Mr. Bivens were both one time presidents of the Tuna Club in Avalon, Ca. Mr. Neptune made many improvements to Colnett over the years and continued to use her for sportfising purposes until his passing. Sometime after the war the flying bridge was added and in 1961 the original engine was replaced with her current powerplant.

In 1997, the underbody was completely reconstructed with new planking, frames and fasteners by long beach shipwright Mr. Dennis Budd.

Engine Info: 

Caterpillar D-320 4-cyl diesel
ColnettColnettColnett
ColnettColnett

Tomara

Tomara

Member Type: 

Classic

Boat Name: 

Tomara

Year: 

1941

Length: 

36'

Builder: 

Edison Technical School; Jim Chambers, Shipwright

Designer: 

Ed Monk Sr.

Owner: 

Paul & Teresa Sabin

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest

Home Port: 

Anchor Cove Marina, Tacoma

Hull Construction:

Framing:  1 5/8" x 1 1/2" bent oak frames spaced 9"
Planking: 1 1/8" Port Orford Cedar
House: 1" Honduran Mahogany

Historical Background:

Commissioned in 1941 for Vice Principal Robert J Handy of the Edison Technical School. It was built at the Edison School of Wooden Boat Building in Seattle, Washington, under the supervision of Senior Master Boat Builder Jim Chambers Sr. Shortly after completion the yacht was sold.

1st Owner: George T. Knight (1941 – 1960), Queen City Yacht Club. The yacht was documented “Tomara” after two of his children, (Thomas and Maria); the name remains to this day. Mr. Knight was an avid predicted log racer and Tomara competed in many interclub and international cruiser races - - we have a display board with dozens of class wins and place awards as well as participation plaques(see photo below) The yacht also participated in the Seattle Yacht Club Opening Day Festivities (1955) receiving a 1st Place Trophy. Mr. Knight was also a Commodore of the Queen City Yacht Club.

2nd Owner: T. Anderson (1960 – 1963), Tyee Yacht Club. Dr. Anderson passed shortly after acquiring “Tomara”.

3rd Owner: Merrill D. and Norma Moon (1963 – 1969), Tyee, Queen City, and Bremerton Yacht Clubs. The yacht participated in numerous activities sponsored by all three yacht clubs. During their tenure, “Tomara” cruised north beyond the reaches of Desolation Sound.

4th Owner: Dennis D. and Linda Hostvedt (1969 – 1997), Bremerton Yacht Club. Dennis purchased the yacht for his wife Linda, daughter of previous owners Merrill and Norma Moon. Dennis began a total restoration of “Tomara” in 1970. He added the flying bridge in 1973 with teak hand rails on the bridge deck, thoroughly renovated the interior cabinetry, hand-crafted mahogany hatches for the chain locker and rear cabin, re-wired the yacht, installed hydraulic steering, and replaced the 1957 Chris-Craft gasoline engine for a Pisces Marine Diesel Engine in 1980.

5th Owner: Dan and Lynda Mason (1997 – 2002), Bremerton Yacht Club. Dan completed the renovation of the vessel by installing electronics (including Radar), hot water heater and tank, holding tank, added a shower, new upholstery, carpet and décor. In 2000, the yacht was refastened from water-line to keel using 2,000 stainless steel screws and plugs. While cruising in British Columbia in August 2000, the Masons met up with Julian Matson in the vicinity of Nanaimo. Matson was the conduit to author / photographer Ron McClure and this introduction and follow-up written correspondence between McClure and Mason is how “Tomara” found its way into McClure’s 2002 book “Classic Wooden Motor Yachts”.

6th Owner: Doug and Debra Serrill (2002 – 2016), no known yacht club affiliation. “Tomara” was cruised annually into B.C., as far north as the Broughton Islands. Doug de-cluttered the helm station, reverting it to its classic appearance, with discreetly placed available electronic navigational aids, which included auto-pilot and Nobeltec navigation, as well repositioning the radar and depth sounder displays. Doug also fabricated the mahogany dinghy davits and built the custom strip plank Honduran Mahogany dinghy.

7th Owner: Paul and Teresa Sabin (2016 – Present), no yacht club affiliation. Paul with wife Teresa are Alaska small yacht veterans who look forward to many years as stewards and caretakers of “Tomara”. Upgrades to date include re-planking the transom, changing the exterior color, and replacing the laminate dinette table and refrigerator door with mahogany veneer. “Tomara” was recently selected “People Choice – Best Boat” in the 2017 LaConner Classic Car and Boat Show.

Engine Info: 

Current - Single Pisces Diesel engine, 60 h.p., installed in 1980. Cruising speed 6-7 knots, max speed 8 knots. Range 850 NM Previous - Chrysler Crown gasoline engine installed in 1957. Original - Unknown
TomaraTomaraTomara
TomaraTomaraTomara
Tomara

Dulcinea

Dulcinea

Boat Name: 

Dulcinea

prev-names: 

Ma Belle

Year: 

1958

Length: 

31'

Builder: 

Owens, Baltimore, MD

Owner: 

Aaron St. John & Angelina Allen

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest

Home Port: 

Seattle, WA

Hull Construction

Single planked mahogany hull. Bottom was re-planked with Western Red Cedar in 1975, and fastened with silicon bronze screws.

Propulsion

Duclinea is propelled by two "Owens Flagship" engines (Hecules QX flathead sixes), approximately 136 HP each, mated to Paragon 1XE mechanical transmissions. The engine were replaced in 1975, and rebuild circa 1996. Max RPM is 3,200. She cruised comfortably at 12 knots, and can be pushed to 14 knots.

Historical Background

The earliest known owner for Dulicea was Mr. W. C. Wilkinson, an accounting manager for Pacific Northwest Bell, who owned her as early as 1970. Her name at the time - Ma Belle - may have been a reference to his employer. Mr. Wilkinson lived in Bellevue, and presumably the boat was berthed there.

In 1974, she was sold to Budd Leavitt, who retained the name Ma Belle and kept the boat in Tacoma. In 1975, Mr. Leavitt embarked a a serious refit. Both engines were replaced, and the bottom was re-planked with Western Red Cedar. A flying bridge was designed and installed near this time. A 1974 survey notes a cockpit helm station, and a 1977 survey notes the current fly-bridge and control station.

Ma Belle appears to have changed hands several times, but staying in the Leavitt family until 1986, when she was purchased by Dave and Karen Tyler.

The Tylers renamed Ma Belle to Dulcinea, her current name. They also embarked on a refit in the 1990s, replacing several planks, refastening the hull, and rebuilding the engines. They kept Dulcinea at the Tacoma Yacht Club, and participated in several Daffodil Parades.

I purchased Dulcinea in 2014, and have since kept her at Salmon Bay Marina in Ballard.

Joie

Joie

Member Type: 

Vintage

Boat Name: 

Joie

Year: 

1960

Length: 

59'

Builder: 

Stephens

Owner: 

Rusty Areias

Fleet: 

  • Southern California

Home Port: 

Huntington Harbor

Duffy

Duffy

Member Type: 

Vintage

Boat Name: 

Duffy

Year: 

1950

Length: 

36'

Builder: 

Adams Boat Co.

Official Number: 

259435

Designer: 

Edwin Monk Sr.

Owner: 

Evan and Sara Bailly

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest

Originally commissioned by Dr. William Kidd and Elaine Kidd and launched in 1950 by the Adams Boat Company on Portage Bay in Seattle's Lake Union. Duffy was built to plans penned by Edwin Monk in 1947, with some detail changes made during construction.

Moored in Seattle's Portage Bay under the Kidd's ownership, Duffy is listed as a member vessel of the Tyee Yacht Club in the register of Washington Yacht Clubs in the 1950 "Pacific Motoring Handbook". She traveled the Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands until 1992 when she was purchased from the estate of Dr. Kidd by Mike and Gwen Byrne.

The Byrnes brought Duffy to the Shelton Yacht Club where a restoration was undertaken in the mid 1990s and actively cruised her the length of Puget Sound and the Salish Sea. In 1998 Duffy was featured in the book "Ed Monk and t he Tradition of Classic Boats" by Bet Oliver.

We, Evan and Sara Bailly, purchased Duffy from the Byrnes family in early 2017 and have started another round of restoration work, including a great deal of repairs to her below the waterline, while still taking every opportunity to take her cruising. We had already taken her the length of Puget Sound proper, as far south as Olympia and as far North as Anacortes in our first year as her caretakers.

Hull Construction: Alaskan yellow cedar planking over white oak frames. House and bright-work is mahogany.

Engine Info: 

Single Marine Power 4.3L V6 with Hurth/ZF V-Drive
Duffy at Eagle Island

Dagon

Dagon

Member Type: 

Classic

Boat Name: 

Dagon

Year: 

1932

Length: 

35'

Builder: 

C.A. Morse, Thomaston​ ​ME, USA

Designer: 

C.A. Morse

Owner: 

Rick & Sheila Banach

Fleet: 

  • USA

Home Port: 

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Dagon​ ​is​ ​a​ ​small​ ​yacht​ ​with​ ​big​ ​boat​ ​features.​ ​​​Overall Length is 35' plus a 7' bowsprit. She​ ​is​ ​an​ ​unusually​ ​handsome​ ​and​ ​a​ ​distinctive​ ​vintage​ ​motor vessel.​ ​​​She​ ​is​ ​sound​ ​and​ ​very​ ​capable​ ​and​ ​handles​ ​well​ ​in​ ​a​ ​seaway.​ ​​​She has​ ​standing​ ​headroom​ ​throughout.​ ​​​The​ ​original​ ​1932​ ​Style​ ​and​ ​finish​ ​has been​ ​maintained.​ ​​​​​With​ ​its​ ​straight​ ​stem​ ​one​ ​can​ ​walk​ ​almost​ ​right​ ​up​ ​to the​ ​bow​ ​inside​ ​the​ ​boat​ ​while​ ​standing​ ​up.​ ​The​ ​entrance​ ​to​ ​the​ ​wheelhouse is​ ​through​ ​a​ ​full​ ​height​ ​teak​ ​door​ ​entering​ ​from​ ​the​ ​cockpit.​ ​​​The​ ​fore​ ​deck and​ ​wheel​ ​house​ ​deck​ ​are​ ​canvas​ ​trimmed​ ​with​ ​teak.​ ​​​Side​ ​and​ ​aft​ ​decks are​ ​solid​ ​teak,​ ​minimum​ ​1”​ ​thickness.​ ​​​Cockpit​ ​and​ ​wheelhouse​ ​decks​ ​are teak​ ​overlay.​ ​​​There​ ​is​ ​a​ ​‘Duck’​ ​colored​ ​Canvas​ ​canopy​ ​over​ ​the​ ​cockpit.

An​ ​anchor​ ​davit​ ​with​ ​tackle​ ​and​ ​liverpool​ ​heads​ ​on​ ​the​ ​stove​ ​smoke​ ​stacks give​ ​the​ ​boat​ ​a​ ​classic​ ​yacht​ ​look.Up​ ​on​ ​the​ ​long​ ​foredeck​ ​is​ ​a​ ​traditional​ ​​​teak​ ​scuttle​ ​hatch​ ​that​ ​opens​ ​into the​ ​wind​ ​for​ ​venting​ ​air​ ​through​ ​the​ ​boat.​ ​Also​ ​on​ ​the​ ​foredeck​ ​are​ ​a​ ​teak wood​ ​skylight​ ​with​ ​beveled​ ​glass​ ​and​ ​opening​ ​windows​ ​that​ ​do​ ​not​ ​leak. Both​ ​recently​ ​built​ ​and​ ​varnished.​ ​​​The​ ​​​wheelhouse​ ​is​ ​varnished​ ​cedar​ ​with mahogany​ ​windows,​ ​window​ ​screens​ ​and​ ​trim.​ ​​​The​ ​wheelhouse​ ​interior​ ​is all​ ​varnished​ ​mahogany.​ ​​​There​ ​is​ ​a​ ​small​ ​shipmate​ ​heating​ ​stove​ ​in​ ​the wheelhouse.​ ​​​The​ ​compass​ ​is​ ​housed​ ​in​ ​a​ ​vintage​ ​binnacle​ ​with​ ​night lighting.

The​ ​front​ ​windows​ ​are​ ​new​ ​and​ ​are​ ​designed​ ​to​ ​swing​ ​out​ ​to​ ​let​ ​fresh​ ​air into​ ​the​ ​boat.​ ​​​The​ ​side​ ​and​ ​back​ ​wheelhouse​ ​windows​ ​are​ ​trunk​ ​style​ ​that drop​ ​down​ ​to​ ​allow​ ​fresh​ ​air​ ​in​ ​through​ ​window​ ​screens.Access​ ​to​ ​the​ ​main​ ​engine,​ ​generator,​ ​tanks​ ​and​ ​other​ ​machinery​ ​is through​ ​two​ ​large​ ​doors​ ​in​ ​the​ ​wheelhouse​ ​deck.There​ ​is​ ​lighting​ ​and​ ​fans in​ ​the​ ​engine​ ​room.

Below​ ​decks​ ​is​ ​a​ ​galley​ ​with​ ​a​ ​cooking​ ​Shipmate​ ​Stove,​ ​Stainless​ ​Steel sink​ ​with​ ​hot​ ​and​ ​cold​ ​running​ ​water.​ ​​​A​ ​large​ ​holding​ ​plate​ ​refrigerator​ ​and a​ ​large​ ​freezer​ ​cooled​ ​by​ ​a​ ​Rich​ ​Beers​ ​evaporator​ ​located​ ​in​ ​the​ ​engine room.​ ​​​The​ ​fridge​ ​and​ ​freezer​ ​were​ ​planned​ ​large​ ​enough​ ​to​ ​keep​ ​the​ ​yacht for​ ​six​ ​week​ ​cruises​ ​to​ ​the​ ​Bahamas.​ ​​​They​ ​have​ ​a​ ​‘period’​ ​“icebox” appearance​ ​with​ ​brass​ ​icebox​ ​latches,​ ​exterior​ ​mounted​ ​temperature gauges​ ​and​ ​varnished​ ​v-groove​ ​mahogany​ ​exterior.

Sleeping​ ​is​ ​on​ ​a​ ​pull​ ​out​ ​double​ ​bed​ ​with​ ​two​ ​large​ ​drawers​ ​for​ ​personal use​ ​underneath​ ​and​ ​with​ ​varnished​ ​mahogany​ ​and​ ​polished​ ​brass​ ​pulls. There​ ​are​ ​two​ ​single​ ​berths​ ​opposite.​ ​​​There​ ​are​ ​several​ ​‘period​ ​110v personal​ ​comfort​ ​fans​ ​in​ ​the​ ​wheelhouse​ ​and​ ​below.​ ​​​The​ ​interior​ ​is v-groove​ ​ceiling​ ​planked​ ​and​ ​painted​ ​cream.​ ​​​The​ ​cabin​ ​top​ ​is​ ​painted v-groove​ ​with​ ​large​ ​varnished​ ​oak​ ​beams.​ ​​​The​ ​floor​ ​is​ ​varnished​ ​white​ ​oak with​ ​hatches​ ​to​ ​access​ ​the​ ​bilge.​ ​​​The​ ​bilge​ ​spaces​ ​have​ ​teak​ ​grates​ ​for long​ ​trip​ ​food​ ​and​ ​equipment​ ​storage​ ​without​ ​sitting​ ​directly​ ​in​ ​potential bilge​ ​water.

Moving​ ​forward​ ​is​ ​a​ ​hanging​ ​closet,​ ​a​ ​door​ ​with​ ​mirror,​ ​with​ ​storage​ ​behind and​ ​with​ ​four​ ​storage​ ​drawers​ ​below​ ​in​ ​varnished​ ​mahogany.
Head​ ​is​ ​a​ ​Wilcox​ ​Crittenden​ ​Skipper​ ​classic​ ​located​ ​in​ ​the​ ​forepeak.​ ​​​Also​ ​a vintage​ ​white​ ​porcelain​ ​sink​ ​with​ ​running​ ​water​ ​from​ ​and​ ​antique​ ​faucet.

A​ ​door​ ​opens​ ​through​ ​the​ ​bulkhead​ ​for​ ​anchor​ ​chain​ ​storage​ ​and​ ​holding tank​ ​overboard​ ​pump.

A complete restoration has been done as of April 2018: ​​​The​ ​complete​ ​wood​ ​bottom​ ​of​ ​the​ ​boat​ ​was​ ​replaced with​ ​new​ ​mahogany.​ ​​​Keel,​ ​stem,​ ​all​ ​stern​ ​timbers,​ ​every​ ​floor​ ​timber​ ​and every​ ​frame​ ​was​ ​replaced.​ ​​​New​ ​canvas decks. All​ ​surfaces​ ​have​ ​been restored​ ​inside​ ​and​ ​outside​ ​of​ ​the​ ​boat.​ ​​​Mechanical,​ ​electrical,​ ​plumbing, paint​ ​and​ ​varnish​ ​have​ ​all​ ​been​ ​attended​ ​to.​ ​​The​ ​whole​ ​front​ ​of​ ​the​ ​wheelhouse​ ​was​ ​replaced.​ ​​​All​ ​new​ ​Sapele​ ​mahogany​ ​windows​ ​and​ ​frames​ ​with​ ​tempered​ ​glass, Juniper​ ​corner​ ​posts​ ​and​ ​T​ ​+​ ​G​ ​facing​ ​were​ ​installed.

Engine Info: 

​John​ ​Deere​ ​100HP​ ​at​ ​1800​ ​RPM,​ ​Propeller​ ​24”​ ​x​ ​?,​ ​855​ ​hours Main​ ​engine​ ​fuel​ ​consumption​ ​3.5​ ​gal/hr​ ​diesel​ ​fuel
AttachmentSize
PDF icon Dagon - the rest of the story76.66 KB
DagonDagonDagon
DagonDagon

Unforgettable

Unforgettable

Member Type: 

Vintage

Boat Name: 

Unforgettable

prev-names: 

RIBEYE II, PATIENCE II, BLUFFER, SHIRLEY JANE, CHERI 1, LADY ANN, BEOWULF

Year: 

1965

Length: 

57'

Builder: 

Chris Craft

Official Number: 

503908

Owner: 

Alan J Winningham & Ryan Ihrig

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest

1965 Chris Craft Constellation, Flush Deck Motor Yacht

Introduction / General Specification
‘UNFORGETTABLE’ is a 1965, 57 ft Chris Craft Constellation, commonly referred to as a ‘Connie’, hull number CAC570733A, Coast Guard documentation number 503908. She is constructed of batten seamed double planked mahogany planking over white oak framing. Planking thickness is 7/8” sides, with double planking below the waterline of 1½”. Primary framing is 1½”x 3¼ on 24” centers with intermediate frames of 1¼” x 2 ¼”, also on 24” centers making the frame spacing every 12”.

She is powered by a pair of 318hp, GM 8V71N Detroit Diesels through Allison 2:1 reduction gears, with 1 3/4" stainless shafts, turning 28" bronze propellers, resulting in a comfortable cruise speed of 11-12 knots @1400 rpm. With twin aluminum tankage totaling 560 gallons she has a range of approx 350 miles. 110V electrical power is provided by a 12.5Kw 4 cylinder Westerbeke diesel generator.

She was built in Algonac, Michigan, hull 33 of 36 built that year, as acknowledged by Charles W. Stager, a Master Carpenter of Chris Craft. She is one of 262 57’ hulls built during a model run beginning in 1963 and ending in 1972. During this long production run, only minor changes were made, mainly a few alternative aft cabin arrangement plans, hardtop choices and equipment options. The last wooden boat produced and
delivered by the original Chris Craft Corporation was a 57 ft Constellation, shipped on Nov 4th, 1972. Needless to say, these boats enjoyed, and still have, a loyal following.

Layout
UNFORGETTABLE features a forward cabin with upper/lower berths with its own head and shower, a complete lower midships galley (to starboard) with convertible dinette that converts to a double berth (to port). The original overhead enclosure that enclosed the galley and dinette has been removed providing a drastic change in light and air. Four steps up is a spacious 12x14 ft saloon with a built-in custom mahogany settee, four steps down aft are a day head (to starboard), followed by a railroad ‘Pullman’ style sofa that converts to upper and lower twin berths, separated by a privacy curtain. Opposite the Pullman (portside) is a private twin guest cabin enclosed by a sliding mahogany door on the passageway, with additional access to the master shower. The aft master stateroom boasts abundant storage, built-in make up table, chest of drawers, twin beds (starboard and port) and its own head and shower (with access also from the guest stateroom). Aft of the master stateroom is a lazarette, accessible via twin hatches from the main deck. Engine room (under the main saloon and of similar size) is accessed both via under stair entries from both the galley facing aft and at the beginning of the rear stateroom corridor facing forward. Up four stairs from the saloon (starboard side) and moving aft is the pilothouse with steering station, rear facing wet bar, port and starboard wing doors and the protected afterdeck. Forward near the bow, the house enclosure offers a large settee facing forward with room for additional deck chairs along with access to the windlass and anchor. In total she sleeps 10, down from the 12 she was originally advertised to accommodate.

Ownership History
Sold new by the world’s largest Chris Craft dealer of the day, ‘Rodi-Chris Craft’ in Fort Lauderdale, Florida to E.D. Swain of Wilmington, North Carolina, May 16th, 1966, and christened “RIBEYE II”. She was originally delivered as an Express model with a short hardtop w/o bulkhead. On August 30th, 1968 Swain sold her to Norman D Groh of Norfolk, Virginia, who renamed her “PATIENCE II”.  Groh later married Barbara C Groh who became a joint owner November 23rd, 1970. February 16th, 1972 she was sold to Walter C and Betty Jane Rose, of Oswego, New York,
who renamed her “BLUFFER”. May 21st, 1974 she was traded in to Emperor Yachts of Wilmington, Delaware, who resold her to Jack and Shirley W. Harris of Asheville, North Carolina on September 5, 1976 who named her “SHIRLEY JANE”. July 15th, 1978 she was sold again, this time to Barbara J Sayer & Marcel E Drapeau, who renamed her “CHERI 1” and operated her briefly as a charter vessel in Fort Lauderdale, dba Cheri’s Charters, Inc., a Delaware Corp. January 5th, 1981 she was sold to Victor Y. Ellias who shipped her from Florida to Portland, Oregon where she was boathouse kept and renamed “LADY ANN’, until December 14th, 1993 when she was gifted to the Boy Scouts of America. Until her shipment to Portland she lived in Florida waters. During her stay in Portland, she had a custom hardtop extension with wing doors added, providing full after deck protection for her bow to stern full teak decks (a new model feature for 1965) along with the addition of a side/rear curtain enclosure, permitting the after deck to be fully ‘open air’ or enclosed for inclement weather protection. Her custom hardtop extension is unique with a noticeable swept back ‘coupe’ like curvature falling off to the stern. Factory extensions were flat, square with a heavy side “v” pillar on port and starboard sides where the deck wing doors are located and typically included permanent or semi-permanent glass side enclosures. January 9th, 1996 she was resold by the Boy Scouts (San Gabriel. California Council) to David G Moore of Newport Beach, California who renamed her “BEOWULF”. Mr. Moore kept her in Newport Beach, California and embarked upon a passionate and complete long term restoration/update/modernization of her over the years of his ownership, spending in excess of $1.5M including a complete hull refastening, paint, engine rebuilds, new generator, along with restoration and or replacement of all other ship’s electrical, plumbing, interior and exterior wood work, instrumentation, electronics, interior furnishings, galley update, etc., with the bulk of the work performed in the 2010-2013 time period in Long Beach, California. During this period, Moore employed a full time project manager, John Adams, to insure all the work and every detail be of the best quality possible. Upon her completion, Moore sold her on September 4th, 2014 to Neil W Herman of Phoenix, Arizona who moved her to San Diego, California where he used her briefly as a waterfront condominium. Having little boating experience and realizing maintaining her was beyond his desire or ability, she was soon put back up for sale.

Having owned a number of smaller boats, including a much smaller Chris Craft, we decided in 2014, as becoming ‘empty nesters’ came onto the horizon, we were ready for a new life adventure/project. Lifelong boaters (with one of us 4th generation Seattle) we launched an investigative search in earnest, examining a wide variety of vessels, eventually narrowing our search to a handful of models suitable for our past cruising style
with friends and family in the PNW with plans for extended summer adventure in the far north. After a large amount of education, learning (with much more still to come!) and self examination as to the responsibilities of large wooden vessel caretaking, our search narrowed to finding a well kept 57’ Connie that was as unadulterated as possible while having been updated. We ran across an online listing for the then BEOWULF in
November, 2016. After several trips to San Diego, beginning in June, 2017 a haul-out, survey and sea-trials, we finally closed on her on December 17th, 2017. Upon our purchase, she was moved to Ensenada, Mexico and transported via a dedicated yacht transport ship to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, off loaded, and reimported to the US at Roche Harbor, San Juan Islands, Washington on December 27th, 2017. After delivery to us at Roche, we began the journey south with our new pride and joy arriving at her new permanent home port December 29th, 2017.

UNFORGETTABLE is again under cover at her new permanent berth, at the Seattle Yacht Club, Main Station on Portage Bay where we’ve been club members since 1994. Now renamed UNFORGETTABLE, she is undergoing additional detailing and upgrading with the intention of returning her to a ‘like new’ Bristol condition.
 

Engine Info: 

twin GM 8V71N Detroit Diesels, 318hp ea.
UnforgettableUnforgettableUnforgettable
UnforgettableUnforgettableUnforgettable
UnforgettableUnforgettableUnforgettable
UnforgettableUnforgettable

Gracie

Gracie

Member Type: 

Vintage

Boat Name: 

Gracie

prev-names: 

Long Gone II

Year: 

1962

Length: 

28'

Builder: 

Grandy

Designer: 

Monk

Owner: 

Steve & Lisa Vanek

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest

Gracie is a 28’ Sedan Cruiser built in 1962 by Grandy Yachts of Seattle, Washington. The following is the limited information we have of her history.

She was originally purchased by Bob Carstensen. Apparently, Bob knew the Grandy family personally and would often stop in and have coffee at their boatyard. After having the boat built he named her “Long Gone II” and must have had a lot of pride in owning her because of the excellent condition we found her in.

We were told the original engine was a Graymarine and must have been a V8 because of the dual exhaust ports, which were original. From limited records we found onboard, it seems that engine lasted about 5 or 6 years at which time a new engine was installed, a Ford 351 Windsor. In 1987 a third engine was installed, also a Ford 351 Winsor, and is the engine she still has today.

In 2003, presumably due to his age, Mr. Carstensen gave “Long Gone II” to his niece and her husband, Sue and Edward Puchelt. He had owned the boat for an amazing 41 years! Sue and Edward used the boat until Sue’s passing around 2010. Edward continued using the boat occasionally until we purchased her on July 3, 2014.

After purchasing the boat in Everett, WA and cruising her to Pleasant Harbor, WA, we started “cleaning” the boat and emptying out all her compartments (Edward hadn’t wanted anything that was left on this completely furnished boat). This was like an archaeological dig. The deeper we went the older the items, including the big orange puffy float jackets (dated 1954!), which it turns out were original equipment that came with the boat. We have kept the items that had any significant meaning for the boat.

What amazed us the most was after removing the shag carpet that had been installed, we found the original linoleum flooring in almost pristine condition. This, along with the original counter tops, original and almost new looking Princess propane stove, original compass (with 1962 documentation showing when it was calibrated) and many other small details, let us know that we had found a true gem of a boat.

After using her that first summer we had the boat trailered from Olympia, WA to Scappoose, OR where we worked on the hull. This was an 18 month labor of love (as only a wood boat owner can understand) in which the transom was rebuilt, a dozen or so bottom planks replaced and the “Knee” of the bowstem replaced. The hull was stripped almost to bare wood and repainted.

We agonized over renaming her (I’m sort of a traditionalist in that a boat should keep it’s given name), but finally decided to rename her “Gracie” (I also like boats bearing feminine names, not meaning to step on any toes!). For us, this name just seems to fit our graceful little boat.

Gracie was relaunched in September 2016. She now resides on the Columbia River in a boathouse at Portland Yacht Club in Portland, OR. The cabin top has been recanvased as closely as possible to her original. Many of her original metal parts have been re-chromed. The work continues. This year the hope is to paint the gunnels and varnish the cabin exterior and mast.

We are truly grateful to be a part of this boats history (and vice versa)!

Gracie

Firebird

Firebird

Member Type: 

Vintage

Boat Name: 

Firebird

Year: 

1959

Length: 

43'

Builder: 

Stephens

Owner: 

Jonathan Arambel

Fleet: 

  • Northern California

The original owners were the Dobbin’s . Here is some history as told from the (now) 85-year-old daughter of the original owner of Firebird, Leslie E. Dobbins: 

The Dobbins Family were music enthusiasts. The Firebird by Stravinsky was the origin for naming the boat Firebird. 
 

Leslie’s father (Hugh) married the daughter of Lewis Marshall Lloyd, a Missouri Senator, turned Los Angeles land baron and inventor. While on his land he lit his cigar and due to the methane levels, it blew up. He struck oil. Supposedly, there are many family members still getting paid. 
 

Leslie E. Dobbins, graduated from Stanford and was a Mechanical Engineer. Leslie and a friend invented a 4-cycle diesel engine he was president of the company. According to his 85-year-old daughter, It was either sold to Cummings or it was a hostile takeover, depending on who you ask. 

Leslie’s house in Berkley was built by Julie Morgan, the same architecture who worked on the Hearst Castle. When Leslie and his wife Dorothy moved to Seattle, they loved their house so much that they had Julie Morgan build them an identical home in Seattle. Dorothy was one of the founders of the Berkeley Women’s City Club (now the Berkeley City Club), which also was built by Julia Morgan. The building was financed entirely by Berkeley women, a lot of it from the Dobbins Family. 

The Dobbins Family is credited for being very philanthropic. According to Leslie's children, he always told them the more you have, the more you have to give to others. Most of the family is described as prominent California philanthropists and a socially prominent family in Berkeley. The Dobbins Family established Presbyterian churches at Santa Barbara, Golden Gate. Cayucos. Berkeley and many other places. 

Current owner purchased the boat from the estate of the previous owner in January 2017.  Firebird was a longtime member of the St. Francis Yacht Club.. 

Firebird

Pearl

Pearl

Member Type: 

Vintage

Boat Name: 

Pearl

prev-names: 

Pau Hana

Year: 

1959

Length: 

32'

Builder: 

Chris Craft

Official Number: 

1220919

Owner: 

Rick & Julia Grover

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest

32' Chris-Craft Express Cruiser
When David Wiehle found Pearl, she was known by a different name and was in a much different state. Her name was Pau Hana, owned by Patricia Coulter who was almost ready to give the vessel away to the Sea Scouts for a tax break after the vessel had been on the market for over a year after her husband passed away.

The Coulters spent many seasons cruising Pau Hana up into Canadian waters.The details are unknown, but we are fairly confident that she spent time in the Desolation Sound area, fishing along the way. Pau Hana resided at the Seattle Yacht Club in Portage Bay for over 20 years.

In September of 2006, David Wiehle and Elizabeth Bailey picked up the then Pau Hana at Seattle Yacht Club in Portage Bay, and limped it over on the port engine to the Seaworthy Services refinishing shop on Westlake. There began extensive restorations. The engines were pulled and put into the care of mechanic Ivan Gelseth. During the engine rebuild, David Wiehle began finish work on the exterior. All metal was removed and taken to Show Quality for polishing and/or re-chroming. All of the exterior paint and varnish above the gunnel was stripped, and the beautiful original mahogany stained the rich tone it now is. At least a dozen coats of varnish were applied to the windshield, cockpit interior, transom, sidedecks, and cabinsides. The unique name was designed and applied by Seaworthy employee Jose Jimenez. Jose also did the majority of the work involved in the gorgeous Awl-Grip fairing and paintwork on the cabintop. The keel coolers were removed and plugged, the bilges extensively cleaned, and the hull, bootstripe and bottom painted at LeClercq Marine, where the (rebuilt) engines were put in. Once back at Seaworthy, Pearl had her fuel tanks pulled and taken to Ballard Sheet Metal, where new stainless steel versions were constructed and installed by Ivan. Ivan went through the engine room, installing new sea strainers, batteries, exhaust system; the list goes on.

Pearl was nearly complete by late June 2008, so David Wiehle pushed for a "maiden voyage" of the 2008 Chris-Craft Rendezvous in Port Orchard the second weekend in July. Pearl marched in on Thursday afternoon, and won the crowd throughout the weekend. She left on Sunday with her first award: "People's Choice". Beaming with pride, David and Elizabeth took Pearl for an outing in the San Juan Islands in the following weeks. She now resides at BoatWorld Marina on Westlake.
 

Pearl

Navillus

Navillus

Member Type: 

Vintage

Boat Name: 

Navillus

prev-names: 

Almardor (original name), Bowmar

Year: 

1963

Length: 

50'

Builder: 

Stephens Brothers

Official Number: 

290661

Owner: 

Marc Harrington

Fleet: 

  • Northern California

Navillus V is Stephens hull number M-104, launched May 5, 1963 under the name of Almardor. She was sold originally to Albert F. Roller, a noted architect in the San Francisco Bay area in the thirties and forties.

Albert F. Roller was a long time member of the Saint Francis Yacht Club, and Almador was used as a committee boat during some of their races. She also traveled to the Tinsley Island Stag Cruise during his ownership.

According to letters found on the boat, air conditioning was installed in the saloon when she was built in 1963.  In one of his letters to the Stephens Brothers, after some trouble, Mr. Roller expresses that he was glad the trouble had not occurred several weeks earlier when he had the mayor of San Francisco aboard.

From 1989 until 2002 she was owned by Robert Marotta, a Bay Area boat broker.  During his ownership she was known as "Bowmar". We believe that he took her both to Alaska and to Mexico during his ownership.

She was recently purchased by Marc Harrington from the Sullivan Family Trust.  Navillus is berthed at the Sausalito Shipyard and Marina.

Sea Star

Sea Star

Member Type: 

Member

Boat Name: 

Sea Star

prev-names: 

AQUARIUS, SAVITAR III, SAVITAR

Year: 

1965

Length: 

85'

Builder: 

Burger

Designer: 

Jack Hargrave

Owner: 

Erik & Aspin Teevin

Fleet: 

  • Pacific Northwest

Sea Star features a semi-displacement aluminium hull and aluminium superstructure, with teak over aluminum decks.

Engine Info: 

Twin Caterpillar (D343A) diesels

Skal

Skal

Member Type: 

Classic

Boat Name: 

Skal

Year: 

1928

Length: 

34'

Builder: 

Stephens

Owner: 

Robert Sesar

Fleet: 

  • Northern California

Stephens Hull # 559: Elegant and stout with her brand new Yanmar Turbo diesel she's fit for any waters. 

Fully enclosed cabin gives one comfort all year long for a gracious live aboard. A Gypsy wood burning stove Keeps her warm and toasty. Great effort made to preserve old fixtures with modern conveniences carefully tucked away. Bottom rescue job long ago is now seriously strengthened with a professional install of laid up glass. 

SkalSkalSkal
SkalSkalSkal
SkalSkalSKAL
SkalSkal