[Underway in Puget Sound, June 2009. [Rick Etsell photo]
The 96-foot ocean diesel yacht Blue Peter, built at Lake Union Drydock in Seattle in 1928 for John Graham of that city, was sold by him to George L. Machris of Los Angeles, head of the Economy Oil Co., the sale being made and the vessel delivered to the new owner at Los Angeles by L. E. Geary. [Gordon Newell, Maritime Events of 1934, H. W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle Superior Publishing Company, 1966., p. 430.]
Original engines: Twin 175hp Hall-Scott gasoline. BLUE PETER cruises at 12 knots using only 18 gallons of fuel per hour. In 1973, she was repowered with her present pair of Caterpillar diesel 334s with 3:1 reduction gears swinging her two 48" five bladed propellers. She carries 2,000 gallons of fuel and 2,200 gallons of water, giving her ample range at a good and comfortable speed.
MV. Blue Peter is a classic, fantail motoryacht, designed by Ted Geary and built at Lake Union Drydock & Machine Works in 1928. She has white topsides and cabin houses, with extensive varnished teak trim, and bronze deck fittings. Accommodating up to 50 guests on day-trips, the yacht can sleep 8 overnight guests with two crew. She has a large, modern galley just forward of the dining salon, and has a generous wet bar on the aft-deck, complete with a propane BBQ grill. The yacht carries a 14 foot rowing/ sailing dingy, a two person kayak, and a 14 foot hard-bottom inflatable tender, with a 40 HP. motor.