Launched on November 11, 1939, the Gentleman’s Yacht Fifer was and still is the only yacht of her make. She was designed by Naval Architect Robert Allan and built at the Burrard Drydocks in Vancouver, B.C.
Fifer was originally commissioned for Captain William Crawford of the Empire Stevedoring Company as a retirement cruiser bound for Fifeshire, Scotland. The Canadian Military, however, directed her onto a different course. Outfitted with machine guns and armour-plated windows, the Fifer was converted into a patrol vessel for Japanese submarines, serving until the end of the war. Crawford passed shortly before this, never realizing his dream of cruising the world.
Fifer has had several distinguished owners since the war, including: R. M. Andrews of the Maquinna Investment Company; Paul Edward Lowe of the San Diego Chargers; Clarence Wallace, Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia; the Powell River Company of British Columbia; prominent lawyer and celebrated San Francisco resident Melvin Belli; and Tom and Linda Pellarin.
Recently, Fifer was purchased by an avid yachtsman with a keen interest in classic yacht restoration. The crew is working to bring her back to the original grandeur of the 1930s replete with modern amenities.
|Length||32m (105 ft)|
|Beam||6.1m (20 ft)|
|Waterline length||30.33m (99.5 ft)|
|Draft||2.44m (8 ft)|
|GT (gross tonnage)||152.00|
|NT (net tonnage)||45.00|
|Engines||2x Waukesha LRD-6 diesels|
|Speeds||12 knots (top); 11 knots (cruising)|
|Range||_ nautical miles|
|Fuel capacity||22710.00 ltr (6000 gal)|
|Fresh water capacity||18170.00 ltr (4800 gal)|
|ACCOMMODATION||Cabins||4 double ; 2 single; – triple|
|Navigation||Full range of equipment|
|Naval Architect||Robert Allan|
|Classification||LR Lloyds Register & MCA|
|Registry Port||San Francisco, CA|