Pacific Yellowfin

Member Type: 

Non Member

Boat Name: 

Pacific Yellowfin

prev-names: 

JMP64

Year: 

1943

Length: 

114'

Builder: 

Billings Shipyard, Deer Isle, Maine

Designer: 

H. C. Hanson

Fleet: 

  • Canadian

From Owner's Website:

Built by the US Army near the end of the World War II, the Pacific Yellowfin was originally christened as JMP64 in 1943 when she slid down the ways at Billings Shipyard in Deer Isle, Maine. As a Junior Mine Planter, she was to be used in protecting harbours off of the East Coast of the USA.

As a freight/passenger (FP) design, the ship was versatile and could carry considerable tonnage. Many boats of the Pacific Yellowfin’s type played an integral role in recapturing the Aleutian Islands off of Alaska.

Following her active service, Pacific Yellowfin was sold to Clint Pelletier, a man of mystery who appears to have been involved in operations in Cuban waters during the time of the Bay of Pigs invasion. After this time of intrigue, the ship was brought back to the United States and sold, becoming a static houseboat on the Sacramento River for approximately 20 years.

It wasn’t until the 1980s that she was brought back into active service, after being bought by the Tacoma Tow Boat Company to carry out research for the US Navy. After several years of this, she was purchased by millionaire oilman Pete Whittier who started the process of bringing her back into top-notch shape.

Whittier eventually sold Pacific Yellowfin to Colin Griffinson after years of discussions. Ironically, Whittier was looking for a smaller vessel while Griffinson, the owner of a refurbished 22m salmon seiner, was looking for a larger one. The two men happily traded boats, each getting what he needed out of the deal.

Several years after acquiring Pacific Yellowfin, Griffinson undertook an ambitious refitting that included upgraded wiring, a custom-designed interior by Robert Ledingham and safety upgrades to convert her to a certified passenger vessel. The result is what you see today.
 

Specifications

     

Length :

34.75m (114ft)

Hull Construction :

Wood

Beam :

9.14m (30ft)

Engines :

2 X Atlas Imperial (Direct reversing) - 325hp each

Draft :

3.66m (12ft)

Cruising Speed :

10.5 knots

Year Built :

1943

Fuel Capacity :

18,000 gal

Year Refit :

2003 (Complete historic refit)

Water Capacity :

4,500 gal

Builder :

Army Corps of Engineers

Water maker :

1,000 gal

Naval Architect :

H.C. Hanson

Guests :

8 - 12 overnight & 49 day

Interior Designer :

Robert Ledingham

Crew :

5 - 6