The Princeton Hall has a remarkable history that reflects the history of Alaska itself.
Predating statehood by over a decade, she was built in 1941 by native Alaskan students at Sheldon Jackson College under the supervision of legendary Alaska boat-builder Andrew Hope as a missionary boat in Southeast Alaska.
However, the initial plans for the boat’s use did not last long. Following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, she was conscripted by the US Navy and refitted as a submarine patrol boat. After the war, she returned to missionary work, delivering supplies to remote villages across Southeast.
After falling into disrepair in the 1960s and 70s, she was bought by the Ruddy family who restored her to her original condition and then lovingly maintained her for over 40 years.
Today, the Princeton Hall is based in Juneau, Alaska. A wonderful tribute to nearly 80 years of southeast Alaska maritime history, she is ready for new adventures.