Ranger (1917)

Historical Summary:

Ranger was built by Fellows and Stewart of Wilmington CA for Jimmy Jump in 1917.  Designed by Homer Evans she is one of the earliest purpose built sport fishing yachts.  Jimmy Jump, a Commodore of the Catalina Island Tuna Club, was known as the King of Light Tackle having set 26 records with the Tuna Club while owning Ranger.

Over her years of service she has been the flagship of The Los Angeles Motor Boat Club, The Catalina Island Tuna Club, The Catalina Island Yacht Club, The Long Beach Yacht Club and now the Santa Barbara Maritime Museum.

Jack Morehart, also a member of the Tuna Club, purchased her in 1984 and moved her home port to Santa Barbara.  At that point she was 67 years old and in pretty sad shape.  Jack began a 13 year long restoration that included sheathing her hull in ferro-cement.  By 1988 she was in good enough condition to motor back to Catalina Island for the 90th anniversary of the Tuna Club.

In 1997 Jack donated her to the fledgling Santa Barbara Maritime Museum where she became a rallying point for the public and city around the need for a museum in the heart of the waterfront.  She has been proudly on display and making periodic cruises in the Santa Barbara channel since the museum opened in 2000.