Designer: L.E. “Ted” Geary
Built: 1924, Martinolich Shipyard, Docton Washington (Vashon Island)
Length: 86′-0″ Breadth: 18′-8″ Draft: 9′-5″ Displacement: 137.5 tons
Register L: 81.5 B: 18.7 D: 9.6 Gross Tons: 112 (95 ITC) Net: 58 m O.N.: 223931
Engine: Atlas Imperial 110 hp Cruise: 8 kts Fuel: 2200 g. Range: 2500 n.m.
Accommodations: 11 + 6 crew Water: 1000 g + R.O. watermaker
Westward's Wartime ServiceProvided by previous owner, Hugh Reilly:
Westward served, conscripted by the U.S. of A. Public Roads Administration on January 3rd, 1943 and returned June 3rd, 1947----apparently immediately subsequent to her sale (or sale of her “return” rights) by her pre-war owners to Doc Freeman & partners----Messers. Gibson & Masserly. The foregoing per Westward’s U.S.C.G. Abstract of Title.
Westward’s war-time service was carried out, at least in part, in San Francisco Bay where she was reliably (albeit anecdotally) reported in billet-duty in Petaluma, CA. Upon her release from war-time service, she was drydocked in Sausalito to prepare for her return voyage to Seattle---where she joined Doc Freeman’s post-war navy for six months. Westward’s northbound delivery-crew included Dave Updike.
This is the extent of our knowledge of Westward’s war-time Service; we would welcome any further information to compliment the history we’ve complied for Westward’s recent listing (April 2007) in the National Register of Historic Places.